1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectrics and Maximum Potential Difference

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The radiation detector known as a Geiger Counter uses a closed hollow cylindrical tube with an insulated wire along its axis. Suppose a Geiger tube as its called has a 1.0mm diameter wire in a tube with a 25mm inner diameter. The tube is filled with a low pressure gas whose dielectric strength is 1.0*10^6 V/m. What is the maximum potential difference between the wire and tube?

2. Relevant equations
    (delta)Vc=Ed

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that the dielectric strength is the material's maximum sustainable electric field. I feel like you could set (delta)V = to Emax (dielectric strength) times the distance between the wire and the edge of the tube (.0125-.0005) and solve. However that seems too easy and doesnt seem totally right to me. That being said I really don't know how to start this problem. If someone could give me a push in the right direction and help me work it through I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted