1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dielectrics (cell membrane)

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Cell Membranes and Dielectrics Many cells in the body have a cell membrane whose inner and outer surfaces carry opposite charges, just like the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor. Suppose a typical cell membrane has a thickness of 8.0×10−9 , and its inner and outer surfaces carry charge densities of -5.3×10−4 and +5.3×10−4 , respectively. In addition, assume that the material in the cell membrane has a dielectric constant of 5.4.

Find the magnitude of the electric field within the cell membrane.
    Calculate the potential difference between the inner and outer walls of the membrane.
    2. Relevant equations

E= 4(pie)kQ(sigma)
    deltaV= E(deltaX)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess I am confussed on where to start...Can I use the first formula? I calculated both V and E using pie and obtained a wrong answer so can someone point me towards the right direction.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted