Dielectrics (cell membrane)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cell membranes and their similarities to parallel-plate capacitors. The thickness and charge densities of a typical cell membrane are provided, as well as the dielectric constant. The magnitude of the electric field within the membrane is then calculated using the formula E= 4(pie)kQ(sigma), and the potential difference between the inner and outer walls of the membrane is calculated using the formula deltaV= E(deltaX). The correct answers are 3.2x10^-1N/C for the electric field and 2.56x10^-10V for the potential difference.
wildredhead

Homework Statement

Cell Membranes and Dielectrics Many cells in the body have a cell membrane whose inner and outer surfaces carry opposite charges, just like the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor. Suppose a typical cell membrane has a thickness of 8.0×10−9 , and its inner and outer surfaces carry charge densities of -5.3×10−4 and +5.3×10−4 , respectively. In addition, assume that the material in the cell membrane has a dielectric constant of 5.4.

Find the magnitude of the electric field within the cell membrane.
Calculate the potential difference between the inner and outer walls of the membrane.

Homework Equations

E= 4(pie)kQ(sigma)
deltaV= E(deltaX)
V=4(pie)k(sigma)d

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I am confussed on where to start...Can I use the first formula? I calculated both V and E using pie and obtained a wrong answer so can someone point me towards the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first: E= 4(pie)kQ(sigma)=4(3.14)(5.4)(5.3x10^-4)= 3.2x10^-1N/CFor the second: deltaV=E(deltaX)= 3.2x10^-1N/C(8x10^-9m)=2.56x10^-10V

I understand your confusion and I am happy to assist you in solving this problem. The first formula, E= 4(pie)kQ(sigma), relates the electric field (E) within a dielectric material to the charge density (sigma) and the dielectric constant (k). However, in order to use this formula, we need to know the total charge (Q) within the cell membrane. From the given information, we only have the charge densities on the inner and outer surfaces, but not the total charge.

To find the total charge, we can use the charge density formula, sigma= Q/A, where A is the area of the surface. Since the cell membrane is like a parallel-plate capacitor, we can assume that the area of the inner and outer surfaces are the same. Therefore, we can calculate the total charge using the given charge densities and the thickness of the membrane.

Once we have the total charge, we can use the first formula to calculate the electric field within the membrane. Then, we can use the second formula, deltaV= E(deltaX), to find the potential difference between the inner and outer walls of the membrane. Remember to convert the thickness of the membrane to meters before plugging it into the formula.

I hope this helps guide you towards the right direction. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. As a scientist, it is important to understand the fundamental concepts and equations, but it is also important to be able to apply them correctly to solve real-world problems. Keep practicing and you will become more confident in your abilities.

What are dielectrics and what role do they play in cell membranes?

Dielectrics are materials that do not conduct electricity, such as the lipid bilayer of a cell membrane. They act as insulators and prevent charged particles from freely moving across the membrane.

How does the composition of a cell membrane affect its dielectric properties?

The composition of a cell membrane, particularly the types of lipids present, can greatly impact its dielectric properties. For example, saturated lipids have a higher dielectric constant compared to unsaturated lipids, making the membrane less permeable to charged particles.

What is the significance of the dielectric constant of a cell membrane?

The dielectric constant of a cell membrane influences the electrical properties of the membrane, such as its capacitance and ability to store an electrical charge. It also plays a crucial role in determining the overall function of the cell membrane.

How do changes in membrane potential affect the dielectric properties of a cell membrane?

Changes in the membrane potential, which is the difference in electrical charge between the inside and outside of the cell, can alter the dielectric properties of the cell membrane. This is because the movement of charged particles across the membrane can affect the membrane's ability to act as an insulator.

Why is understanding the dielectric properties of cell membranes important in biological research?

Studying the dielectric properties of cell membranes can provide valuable insights into the functioning of cells and their communication with the external environment. It can also help in understanding the effects of various substances, such as drugs or toxins, on the membrane's electrical properties.