Is there a model for ionization of N2 in air under an electric field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dielectric breakdown of air and the ionization of N2 under a uniform electric field. The possibility of an analytical or semi-analytical model for this process is questioned, with mention of Peek's law as a potential empirical solution. The idea of connecting the potential well of an electron in the orbit of an atom to the required electric field for ionization is also brought up, with the possibility of estimating it using the Bohr radius. The conversation then shifts to discussing Paschen's Law and the first ionization energy for nitrogen molecules. The relationship between the minimum electric field required for ionization and the ionization energy for a single atom is also explored.
ccrook
Although I have seen values such as 3 kV/mm for the dielectric breakdown of air, I was curious if there was an analytical or semi-analytical model of the ionization of say N2 under a uniform electric field. I am aware of Peek's law. Am I correct in assuming it is empirical? How might one connect the potential well of an electron in the orbit of an atom to the electric field required to ionize it? Perhaps estimate it using the bohr radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
Baluncore said:
Have you seen Paschen's Law? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

There is discussion of "The first ionization energy needed to dislodge an electron from nitrogen molecule is about 15.6 eV."
In section; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law#Physical_mechanism

I have and I initially started there, but it remains a function of the distance between the electrodes. Perhaps the better question is how does one relate the ionization energy to the minimum electric field required to ionize a single atom?

The connection between the three critical parameters, the MFP, the electric field gradient, and the first ionisation energy, is described in the link I gave to the physical mechanism.

1. What is dielectric breakdown of air?

Dielectric breakdown of air is the phenomenon in which air, which is typically an insulating material, suddenly becomes conductive and allows electricity to flow through it. This occurs when the electric field strength in the air exceeds its dielectric strength, causing the air molecules to ionize and become conductive.

2. What causes dielectric breakdown of air?

Dielectric breakdown of air is caused by the buildup of a strong electric field within the air. This can happen due to various factors such as high voltage, sharp edges or points, or exposure to radiation. The exact cause depends on the specific circumstances and materials involved.

3. What are the effects of dielectric breakdown of air?

Dielectric breakdown of air can have various effects, depending on the magnitude and duration of the electric field. In most cases, it results in a sudden discharge of electricity, which can cause sparks, arcs, or even explosions. It can also lead to damage or destruction of electronic components or equipment.

4. How can dielectric breakdown of air be prevented?

To prevent dielectric breakdown of air, it is important to carefully design and maintain electrical systems and equipment. This includes using appropriate insulation materials, avoiding sharp edges or points, and ensuring proper grounding. It is also important to monitor and control the electric field strength to prevent it from exceeding the dielectric strength of air.

5. What are some real-world applications of dielectric breakdown of air?

Dielectric breakdown of air has various practical applications, such as in lightning rods, spark plugs, and high-voltage power transmission. It is also used in technologies such as plasma displays, gas lasers, and air purifiers. However, it is important to carefully control and manage dielectric breakdown to ensure safe and efficient operation.