1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dieterici's equation

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    Dieterici's equation ( an alternative to Van der waal's equation) states that the pressure p, volume v and absolute temperature T of a mass of gas are connected by the equation
    [tex] p=\frac{RT}{(v-b)}\exp{\frac{-a}{vRT}} \\ [/tex],
    where a, b and R are constants. Verify that both [tex] \frac{{\partial p}}{{\partial v}} = 0 \\[/tex]
    and [tex] \frac{{\partial^2 p}}{{\partial^2 v}} =0 \\[/tex], for the critical volume and temperature [tex] v_c [/tex] and [tex] T_c [/tex] respectively,where [tex] v_c = 2b [/tex]and [tex] T_c = \frac{a}{4bR} \\ [/tex]. What is the value of [tex] p_c [/tex] the critical pressure in terms of a,b and e?
    I have a question in solving this: namely is [tex] \frac{d\exp{\frac{-a}{vRT}}}{dv} = \frac{d \exp{\frac{-a}{vRT}}}{d v^{-1}} \frac{d v^{-1}}{dv} \\ [/tex] Because I don't think so: could someone explain what the l.h.s. is equal to. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{d exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})}{dv}= exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})\frac{d\frac{-\alpha}{vRT}}{dv}= exp(\frac{-\alpha}{vRT})\frac{\alpha}{v^2RT}[/tex]

That's because
    [tex]\frac{d \frac{A}{v}}{dv}= \frac{d Av^{-1}}{dv}= -Av^{-2}[/tex]
    for any constant A.

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    Ok, I finally got to this step. But how do I take the 2nd derivative of this last result? It's gnarly.

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4
    Ok,

I think I got the 2nd derivative, and then I set both 1st and 2nd derivative to zero.
    Now I have 3 equations (original, 1st derivative, 2nd derivative), but how many unknowns? I know that V is an unknown, but isn't T also an unknown? I treated it as a constant.

Do I solve for V in the 1st derivative and plug it into the 2nd derivative?

This is all very confusing . . .

6. Sep 27, 2007 #5
    [tex] \frac{{\partial p}}{{\partial v}} = \frac{{\partial}}{{\partial v}} (\frac{RT}{v-b}\exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}}) \\ [/tex]
    which [tex] = \exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}} \frac{{\partial }}{{\partial v}}(\frac{RT}{v-b}) + \frac{RT}{v-b} \frac{{\partial }}{{ \partial v}}(\exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}}) \\ [/tex].
    Now use HallsofIvy's equation to evaluate the second term of the product rule expression to get the following:
    [tex]\frac{RT}{(v-b)^2}\exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}} - \frac{a}{(v-b)v^2} \exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}} \\ = \exp^{\frac{-a}{vRT}}(\frac{RT}{(v-b)^2} - \frac{a}{(v-b)v^2}) \\ [/tex] [tex]\mbox{ For the critical volume } \ v_c \ \mbox{ and the critical temperature } \ T_c \\ \ \frac{{\partial p}}{{\partial v}}= \exp^{-2}( \frac{a}{4b(b)^2} - \frac{a}{b4b^2})=0 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?