Master Diff Eq: A Beginner's Guide to Understanding Intermediate Steps"

• Thread starter plutoisacomet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a guide or tutorial on differential equations with intermediate steps. One person suggests using a search engine to find tutorials, while another recommends looking for an introductory book on the topic. They also mention that finding helpful resources for math topics can be difficult online.
plutoisacomet
Hello guys, I want to learn diff eq but I seem to not be seeing many of the intermediate steps. Is there a guide or tutorial that gives one a good intro to diff eq with all the intermediate steps?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll bump this since it is probably why I need too.

I "googled" on ' "differential equations" tutorial' and got a number of hits. I'm not going to check out everyone myself but you can try it.

HallsofIvy said:
I "googled" on ' "differential equations" tutorial' and got a number of hits. I'm not going to check out everyone myself but you can try it.

Oh well yeah, sure, that's always the first step in a search for something. Usually a website labeled "Paul's Online Notes" (lamar.edu), which has been linked here before, is the only website I visit for math related inquiries, but the Diff. Eqn. section doesn't register with me very well. Again, I think there are some basic simple steps I'm missing. This isn't even my thread but I suppose what the OP and I are looking for is a very detailed tutorial page.

One of your best bets is probably to get on ebay or amazon and get an introductory book or something. You can pick up some second hand ones for real cheap and you'll get everything you want in one place.

The internet can be a hard place to search in terms of maths and usually only really applies to high school in terms of help.
Sorry I don't know any sites!

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to model change and is commonly used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology.

Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they help us analyze and understand the behavior of systems that change over time. They are used to model physical phenomena and make predictions about how a system will behave in the future.

How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Generally, there are two main approaches: analytical and numerical. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact formula for the solution, while numerical solutions involve approximating the solution using numerical methods.

What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in the real world. They are used to model various physical systems, such as the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in economics, population dynamics, and electrical circuits, among others.

How can I improve my understanding of differential equations?

To improve your understanding of differential equations, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra. Additionally, practicing solving different types of differential equations and reading textbooks and articles on the subject can also help improve understanding. Taking a course or seeking help from a tutor or mentor are also effective ways to improve your knowledge of differential equations.