Diff. EQ. Inhomogeneous Linear System (Double check please)

In summary: That's all there is to it.Just define the solutions (x[t] and y[t]), calculate the derivatives, then insert the x[t] and y[t] into the right hand side and compare the resuts. That's all there is to it.
VinnyCee
Here is the problem:

[tex]X'\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 2 \\ -1 & 3 \end{array}\right)\,X\,+\left(\begin{array}{c} 2 \\ e^{-3t}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Here is what I have:

[tex]r_1\,=\,2,\,\,\,\,\,\,r_2\,=\,1[/tex]

[tex]u_1'\,=\,-2\,e^{-2t}\,+2\,e^{-5t}[/tex]

[tex]u_2'\,=\,2\,e^{-t}\,-\,e^{-4t}[/tex]

[tex]\psi\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{cc} e^{2t} & 2\,e^t \\ e^{2\,t} & e^t \end{array}\right)[/tex]

After integrating the [itex]u_1[/itex] and [itex]u_2[/itex] terms and multiplying the answer by [itex]\psi[/itex], I get:

[tex]X\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c} C_1\,e^{2t}\,+\,2\,C_2\,e^t\,+\,\frac{1}{10}\,e^{-3t}\,-\,3 \\ C_1\,e^{2t}\,+\,C_2\,e^t\,-\,\frac{3}{20}\,e^{-3t}\,-\,1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Then seperating and combining terms:

[tex]X\,=\,C_1\,e^{2t}\,\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right)\,+\,C_2\,e^t\,\left(\begin{array}{c} 2 \\ 1 \end{array}\right)\,+\,\frac{1}{20}\,\left(\begin{array}{cc} 2\,e^{-3t}\,-\,60 \\ 3\,e^{-3t}\,-\,20 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Does this look correct? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

Anyone have the same thing when solving this problem?

VinnyCee said:
Anyone have the same thing when solving this problem?

Hello VinnyCee. Takes a while. It's a challenging problem. Your answer is NOT correct: Missing a minus sign for the second equation. You know, you can back-substitute the answer into the original ODE to verify the answer or if you're lazy like me, just input the results into Mathematica and have it back-substitute and compare the results. :smile:

I get:

[tex]x_p(t)=-3+1/10 e^{-3t}[/tex]

[tex]y_p(t)=-1-3/20e^{-3t}[/tex]

Hope you didn't get my first (unedited) post where I said it was correct. Didn't notice the minus sign missing.

Last edited:
Could you show me that?

This backsubstitution that you mention. How do you type this? Can you show me the routine you did in Mathematica, so I can double check others also?

VinnyCee said:
This backsubstitution that you mention. How do you type this? Can you show me the routine you did in Mathematica, so I can double check others also?

Code:
x[t_]:=-3+1/10 e^(-3 t);
y[t_]:=-1-3/20 e^(-3 t);
D[x[t],t]
Simplify[2 y[t]+2]
D[y[t],t]
Simplify[-x[t]+3 y[t]+e^(-3 t)

Just define the solutions (x[t] and y[t]), calculate the derivatives, then insert the x[t] and y[t] into the right hand side and compare the resuts.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model and analyze dynamic systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is an inhomogeneous linear system?

An inhomogeneous linear system is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivatives are linearly related. It is called "inhomogeneous" because it includes a non-zero term on the right-hand side of the equation.

3. How do you solve an inhomogeneous linear system?

To solve an inhomogeneous linear system, the general solution can be found by combining the solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation with a particular solution. The particular solution can be found using methods such as variation of parameters or undetermined coefficients.

4. What is the difference between a homogeneous and inhomogeneous linear system?

The main difference between these two types of linear systems is the presence of a non-zero term on the right-hand side of the equation. In a homogeneous linear system, this term is equal to zero, while in an inhomogeneous linear system, it is a non-zero constant or function.

5. Why is it important to study inhomogeneous linear systems?

Inhomogeneous linear systems are important because they are used to model many real-world phenomena, and their solutions provide valuable insights into the behavior of these systems. They are also a fundamental concept in higher-level mathematics and are essential for understanding more complex differential equations.