Diff Eq Jump Start: Calc II | Video Lectures & Notes

In summary, differential equations are mathematical equations used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives, and are important for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. There are two types: ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). They can be solved analytically or numerically, and resources such as textbooks and online courses are available to learn more about them. Practice and seeking guidance can also aid in understanding and solving differential equations.
ChiralWaltz
I'm taking Calc II currently and trying to get a head start on diff eq. Does anyone know some good online resources that would assist me in this? Video lectures, notes, problems, ect...

I'm very happy with Adrian Banner's calculus lectures and was seeing if there was anything else similar in nature to that. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. I started reading Paul's Notes last night.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They are used in many fields to model real-world problems and make predictions about the future.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables. ODEs are used to model systems that change over time, while PDEs are used to model systems that vary in space and time.

4. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact algebraic expression for the solution, while numerical solutions use computer algorithms to approximate the solution. The method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

5. How can I learn more about differential equations?

There are many resources available to learn more about differential equations, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of equations and to seek guidance from a mentor or tutor. The more you practice and familiarize yourself with different techniques, the better you will become at solving differential equations.