How do I find eigen vectors for a repeated root case in linear systems?

In summary, the person is trying to study for a DE test and was wondering if you could help with some problems. They found the eigen values to be lamda=2 and needed help on how to find the eigen vectors. They were also confused on what it meant to pick an eigen vector and how to solve for the solution.
2slowtogofast
i am trying to study for a DE test and was wondering if you could help with some problems

dY = -2 1
dt 0 2

i found the eigen values to be lamda = 2

i need some help on how to find the eigen vectors is this a reapeted root case and if it is how do i start off

would i go AV = (lamda)V then solve form there and in this case there would only be one eigen vector. I aplolgize on my lack of knowledge on typing in math symbols.

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalues aren't both 2. There are two linearly independent eigenvectors. Try that again.

i will give it another go

if i subtract the identiy matrix multiplied by lamda from

-2 1
0 2

i get the new matrix

( to make this simpler I am going to use L for lamda)

( -2 - L ) 1
0 (2 - L)

then if i take the determinate of this matrix and set it equal to zero i get

(-2 - L)(2 - L) - 1(0) = 0

L^2 - 4 = 0

L^2 = 4

L = 2

i must be making a mistake somewhere can some point out where thanks for the help

Stop with (L-2)*(-L-2)=0. It's already factored. The roots are +2 and -2. Likewise for L^2=4.

ok thank you so then +2 and -2 are my eigen values thank you for the help

using those values i calculated the following eigenvectors.

AV = LV

from this i get the equations

-2x + y = 2x and 2y = 2y then i get

y = 4x and y= y

if i let x = 1 i get

V = 1

for my first eigen vector

then for the second i get

AV = LV then i get the eqns

-2x + y = -2x solving i get y = 0

and the other eqn is 2y = -2y I am a little confused on how i can get my eigen vector from these two eqns. y = 0 but how can i get the x val

You've got that y=0 and x=anything. There's no equation for x. Pick an 'anything'. like x=1. That's works doesn't it?

ok i was kinda thinking that but was a little unclear but thank you. the next part i am working on is for each eigen value pick an associated eigen vector V and determine the solution Y(t) with Y(0) = V

could you please help me start this one off I am confused on that an what it meanse to pick an eigen vector can't i just use the ones from the prior part.

Ok, pick (1,4) (I'll write the vectors that way instead of in column form). Assume the solution has the form (1,4)*w(t) (where w(t) is an ordinary function, not a vector). Substitute that into the DE. Can you solve for w(t)?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves the derivative of a function and can be used to model a wide range of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, biology, and economics.

2. What is a linear system of differential equations?

A linear system of differential equations is a set of differential equations that can be written in the form of a matrix equation. It consists of linear functions and can be solved using various methods, such as elimination, substitution, or matrix inversion.

3. How is a linear system of differential equations solved?

There are several methods for solving a linear system of differential equations, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. These methods involve finding a particular solution and a complementary solution to the system.

4. What is the importance of solving linear systems of differential equations?

Linear systems of differential equations are important in many scientific and engineering applications, such as modeling the behavior of electric circuits, chemical reactions, and population dynamics. Solving these systems allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of these systems over time.

5. Are there any real-world examples of linear systems of differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of linear systems of differential equations. One example is the Lotka-Volterra equations, which model the predator-prey relationship in a biological system. Another example is the heat equation, which describes the flow of heat in a solid object. These equations can be solved using techniques for linear systems of differential equations.