How Do You Model Drug Absorption in a Patient Using Differential Equations?

In summary, the differential equation for the amount of drug, a, in terms of time, t, is da/dt = r*m - c*a.
Bogus_Roads
Fluid is entering a patient at a rate r, given in cm^3/hr, and a drug is present at some amount of mg/cm^3, m. The drug is absorbed or leaves at a rate given in h^(-1), c, proportional to the amount of the drug.

I want to write a differential eq describing amount, a, in terms of t.

I thought something like da/dt=r*m-c made sense, but I really have no idea. Should c be multiplied by the amount, if it is prop to it and given in h^(-1)? Could anyone show me an analog to this situation in terms of velocity and distance?

This is my first dif eq problem sets, so I'm not really sure how to approach it-any general tips would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equation you have written is correct. Think of it this way: the rate of change in the amount of drug, a, is equal to the rate of fluid entering (r) times the amount of drug per volume of fluid (m) minus the rate of absorption or leaving of the drug (c) times the amount of drug (a). An analogy to this situation would be a car traveling along a road. The rate of change of the distance from the starting point, d, is equal to the car's velocity v minus the rate at which it slows down due to friction c times the total distance it has traveled (d). This can be written as: dd/dt = v - cd

1. What is the equation for fluid flow rate?

The equation for fluid flow rate is Q = A * v, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and v is the velocity of the fluid.

2. How do you solve differential equations for fluid flow rate?

Differential equations for fluid flow rate can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or numerical methods like Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method.

3. What factors affect the rate of fluid flow?

The rate of fluid flow can be affected by several factors including the viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the pipe, the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe, and the presence of obstacles or constrictions in the pipe.

4. How do you determine the velocity of a fluid using differential equations?

The velocity of a fluid can be determined by solving the differential equation for fluid flow rate using the given boundary conditions and physical properties of the fluid and the pipe.

5. Can differential equations for fluid flow rate be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, differential equations for fluid flow rate are commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and environmental sciences to model and analyze fluid flow in pipes, channels, and other systems.