1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff. Eq. Problem -> y'' - 2y' - 3y = -3 t e^(-t) What is general solution?

1. May 26, 2005 #1
    Diff. Eq. Problem ---> y'' - 2y' - 3y = -3 t e^(-t) What is general solution?

This is problem number 3 in section 3.6 in Boyce, DiPrima 8th Edition "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundry Value Problems"

Find the general solution of the differential equation:

[tex]y'' - 2y' - 3y = -3 t e^{-t}[/tex]

Here is what I have done so far:

The characteristic equation is [tex]r^2 - 2r - 3 = 0[/tex] and [tex]r_1 = 3, r_2 = -1[/tex]

That gives [tex]y(t) = C_1 e^{3t} + C_2 e^{-t}[/tex] as the complementary solution.

Now I run into trouble when selecting the superposition equation for using the method of undetermined coefficients. I tried [tex]Y(t) = (A t + B) e^{-t}[/tex] with no luck. I get [tex]A = \frac{3}{4} t[/tex] for an answer, which is incorrect.

The book lists the answer as [tex]y(t) = C_1 e^{3t} + C_2 e^{-t} + \frac{3}{16} t e^{-t} + \frac{3}{8} t^2 e^{-t}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong? Is the [tex]Y(t)[/tex] I chose correct? Please help!

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Try a particular solution [tex]Y(t)=(At^{2}+Bt)e^{-t}[/tex]
    and determine A, B.

4. May 26, 2005 #3
    Thanks

I tried it and it sounds more reasonable. Why must this be the particular solution instead of the one I origianlly chose?

I'm still having trouble. I have the Y, Y', Y'' all substituted and I get [tex]-6A - 4B = -3t[/tex] How do I solve this for A and B? There must be a second equation in there somewhere right?

5. May 26, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The reason (At+B)e-t didn't work is that e-t is already a solution to the homogeneous differential equation. You should have learned that, in situations like that, you multiply by t (or higher powers of t is te-t, etc. are also solutions). Here you should try, as Arildno said, t(At+ B)e-t= (At2+ Bt)e-t.
    Now you say you got -6A- 4B= -3t. How?

If y= (At2+ Bt)e-t, then y'= -(At2+ Bt)e-t+ (2At+ B)e-t and y"= (At2+ Bt)e-t- 2(2At+B)e-t+ 2Ae-t

y"= (At2+ Bt)e-t- 2(2At+B)e-t+ 2Ae-t
    -2y'= 2(At2+ Bt)e-t-2(2At+ B)e-t
    -3y= -3((At2+ Bt)e-t)

The first terms cancel leaving -4(2At+B)e-t+2Ae-t= -3te-t. Dividing both sides by e-t leaves
    -4(2At+ B)+ 2A= -3t or -8At+ (-4B+2A)= -3t. We must have -8A= -3 and -4B+2A= 0.

6. May 26, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try the method of Lagrange of varying the constants.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?