Diff. Eq. Problem -> y'' - 2y' - 3y = -3 t e^(-t) What is general solution?

In summary: Try a particular solution Y(t)=(At^{2}+Bt)e^{-t} with no luck. I get A = \frac{3}{4} t for an answer, which is incorrect.
VinnyCee
Diff. Eq. Problem ---> y'' - 2y' - 3y = -3 t e^(-t) What is general solution?

This is problem number 3 in section 3.6 in Boyce, DiPrima 8th Edition "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundry Value Problems"

Find the general solution of the differential equation:

[tex]y'' - 2y' - 3y = -3 t e^{-t}[/tex]

Here is what I have done so far:

The characteristic equation is [tex]r^2 - 2r - 3 = 0[/tex] and [tex]r_1 = 3, r_2 = -1[/tex]

That gives [tex]y(t) = C_1 e^{3t} + C_2 e^{-t}[/tex] as the complementary solution.

Now I run into trouble when selecting the superposition equation for using the method of undetermined coefficients. I tried [tex]Y(t) = (A t + B) e^{-t}[/tex] with no luck. I get [tex]A = \frac{3}{4} t[/tex] for an answer, which is incorrect.

The book lists the answer as [tex]y(t) = C_1 e^{3t} + C_2 e^{-t} + \frac{3}{16} t e^{-t} + \frac{3}{8} t^2 e^{-t}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong? Is the [tex]Y(t)[/tex] I chose correct? Please help!

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a particular solution [tex]Y(t)=(At^{2}+Bt)e^{-t}[/tex]
and determine A, B.

Thanks

I tried it and it sounds more reasonable. Why must this be the particular solution instead of the one I origianlly chose?

I'm still having trouble. I have the Y, Y', Y'' all substituted and I get [tex]-6A - 4B = -3t[/tex] How do I solve this for A and B? There must be a second equation in there somewhere right?

The reason (At+B)e-t didn't work is that e-t is already a solution to the homogeneous differential equation. You should have learned that, in situations like that, you multiply by t (or higher powers of t is te-t, etc. are also solutions). Here you should try, as Arildno said, t(At+ B)e-t= (At2+ Bt)e-t.
Now you say you got -6A- 4B= -3t. How?

If y= (At2+ Bt)e-t, then y'= -(At2+ Bt)e-t+ (2At+ B)e-t and y"= (At2+ Bt)e-t- 2(2At+B)e-t+ 2Ae-t

y"= (At2+ Bt)e-t- 2(2At+B)e-t+ 2Ae-t
-2y'= 2(At2+ Bt)e-t-2(2At+ B)e-t
-3y= -3((At2+ Bt)e-t)

The first terms cancel leaving -4(2At+B)e-t+2Ae-t= -3te-t. Dividing both sides by e-t leaves
-4(2At+ B)+ 2A= -3t or -8At+ (-4B+2A)= -3t. We must have -8A= -3 and -4B+2A= 0.

Try the method of Lagrange of varying the constants.

Daniel.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves one or more derivatives of a function, which represent the rate of change of the function with respect to its independent variable.

2. What is the general solution to a differential equation?

The general solution to a differential equation is a formula that gives all possible solutions to the equation. It includes a constant of integration, which accounts for the fact that there may be multiple solutions to the equation.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using substitution or series solutions. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and the given initial conditions.

4. What is the significance of the given differential equation?

The given differential equation, y'' - 2y' - 3y = -3 t e^(-t), represents a second-order linear differential equation. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a spring or the decay of a radioactive substance.

5. How do you find the particular solution to a differential equation?

To find the particular solution to a differential equation, you need to use the given initial conditions to solve for the arbitrary constants in the general solution. This will give you a specific solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial conditions.