Solve y'=1+x^2+y^2+x^2y^2: Step-by-Step Solution

• Thread starter jrodss
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution for the differential equation y'=1+x^2+y^2+x^2y^2. The person has attempted to separate the equation and reached y'=1+y^2+x^2(1+y^2). They are unsure of the next step and ask for help. Eventually, they realize they need to factor out (x^2+1)(y^2+1) to make the solution easier. The general solution they come up with is y=tan(x3/3+x+C).
jrodss
1. Give the general solution for the following problem

2. y'=1+x^2+y^2+x^2y^2

3. I have attempted to separate the equation and came up with the following:
y'=1+y^2+x^2(1+y^2) from there I ended up with (y'-y^2-1)/(1+y^2)=x^2
I am stuck on what step to take next. I am sure I am just missing something simple.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So you want to get y'=q(y)*p(x) from your original equation. How can you do that?

Thanks, i got it, i knew i was forgetting something small, it factors out to (x^2+1)(y^2+1) Makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Thanks again for the help.

What is general solution?

The general solution I came up with is y=tan(x3/3+x+C)

Last edited:

1. What does the equation y'=1+x^2+y^2+x^2y^2 represent?

The equation y'=1+x^2+y^2+x^2y^2 represents a type of differential equation, where the derivative of y with respect to x is equal to the sum of 1, x^2, y^2, and x^2y^2.

2. What is the purpose of solving this type of equation?

The purpose of solving this type of equation is to find the function y that satisfies the given equation. This can help in understanding the behavior of certain systems or phenomena, and can also be used to make predictions or solve real-world problems.

3. What is the step-by-step solution for solving this equation?

The first step in solving this equation is to separate the variables by moving all terms containing y to one side of the equation and all terms without y to the other side. Next, we can then integrate both sides with respect to x. This will result in an equation with y on one side and x on the other. Finally, we can solve for y by using appropriate techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

4. Are there any specific techniques or methods to solve this type of equation?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to solve this type of equation. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and using special functions such as Bernoulli's equation or Euler's method.

5. Can this equation be solved analytically or does it require numerical methods?

This equation can be solved analytically, as it is possible to find a general solution for y in terms of x. However, for more complex equations, it may be necessary to use numerical methods to approximate the solution, especially when the equation cannot be solved using standard techniques.