1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff eq. question

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x'=ax +f(t) where a & x are elements of the reals, a is a constant
    Let x_p be any particular solution of the equation. Show that the general solution is
    x(t)=x_p(t) +ce^at

2. Relevant equations

Where should I start with this? I know integrating x'=ax gives the ce^at part but how do I show that the general solution has the entire form asked for?
    3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [itex]x_p(t)[/itex] is the particular solution, then [itex]x'_p(t)=ax_p(t)+f(t)[/itex] What do you get when you substitute the proposed general solution into the DE?

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    I am confused. Which of these is the proposed general solution and which is the DE?

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

DE stands for differential equation. The proposed general solution is [itex]x(t)=x_p(t)+Ce^{at}[/itex] What do you get when you substitute this into the differential equation?

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5
    Do I take the proposed general solution and solve for x_p(t) and then differentiate it? Then set it equal ot the DE?

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why not just differentiate [itex]x(t)[/itex]?

8. Oct 6, 2008 #7
    I just differentiated x(t) and got x'(t)=x'_p(t) + cae^at. Do I then solve this for x'_p(t) and then substitute this into the DE?

9. Oct 6, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You already know that [itex]x'_p(t)=ax_p(t)+f(t)[/itex] since the particular solution must satisfy the differential equation, so why not substitute this into your above result?

10. Oct 6, 2008 #9
    thank you. I substituted x'_p(t) into what is above and got x'(t)=axp(t) +f(t)+cae^at. To show the gen. sol is x(t)=x_p(t)+ce^at, do I need to integrate what I got?

11. Oct 6, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, just rearrange what you've got: [itex]x'(t)=a(x_p(t)+ce^{at})+f(t)[/itex] but what is [itex]a(x_p(t)+ce^{at})[/itex]? ;)

12. Oct 6, 2008 #11
    thank you. I see that after rearranging, x_p(t)+ce^at is x! I don't really understand how what I did works to slove the problem. Is it possible for you to explain what you have helped me to do?!

13. Oct 6, 2008 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you've just shown that [itex]x(t)=x_p(t)+Ce^{at}[/itex] satisfies the DE [itex]x'(t)=ax(t)+f(t)[/itex]....Doesn't that mean that x(t) IS the general solution?

14. Oct 6, 2008 #13
    I guess so! The problem had a hint suggesting I look at the difference x - x_p. What did this mean?

15. Oct 6, 2008 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the general solution is the sum of the particular solution and the complimentary solution (i.e. [itex]x(t)=x_p(t)+x_c(t)[/itex]. So, [itex]x(t)-x_p(t)=x_c(t)[/itex]. The complimentary solution must satisfy the complimentary, homogeneous DE [itex]x'_c(t)=ax_c(t)[/itex]. Does [itex]x(t)-x_p(t)[/itex] satisfy the homogeneous DE?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?