Diff eq r=Kt/((dr/dt)2-c2)

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the given equation is a third-order nonlinear differential equation that can be transformed into two doable integrals using a change of variables and Vièta's substitution. After solving these integrals, the original equation can be solved for the variable r.
Loren Booda
Please solve

r=Kt/((dr/dt)2-c2)

where r and t are variables, and K and c are constants.

Physics news on Phys.org
it's not a solution but it's a way:
(d/dt)*r=(d/dt)K*t/((dr/dt)^2-c^2)
dr/dt=dt/dt*K/((dr/dt)^2-c^2)
(dr/dt)^3-c^2*(dr/dt)=k

now this is third order differential equation which i don't know yet how to solve, hope this helps in a way.

First of all find dr/dt free of any power

Does the original equation turn out to be a nonlinear one, or is it in any way exactly solvable?

no its not non linear
It is I order diff equation
and let's see whether it is solvable or not

Originally posted by himanshu121
no its not non linear

Yes, it is nonlinear.

It is I order diff equation

The order of the equation has nothing to do with its linearity. The first derivative is squared. That is what makes it nonlinear. Even if we take your suggestion of reducing the power of dr/dt to 1, we will have r (the solution!) appearing under a square root sign, which still makes for a nonlinear equation.

edit: typo

Thanks, Tom! Care to try for a solution?

Oh yes its is nonlinear. Thnks Tom

By re labeling r=y and t=x the equation becomes:

y(y'2-c2)=kx

If we take now y of the form y=Ax+B with A,B=constants results:

(Ax+B)(A2-c2)=kx

[A3-Ac2]x+[BA2-Bc2]=kx

Identifying the terms --->

B[A2-c2]=0 (1)

A3-Ac2=k (2)

In (1) A cannot be equal with (+/-c) --->

B=0 (3)

Let now p=-c2 and q=-k.Solving the third degree eq in A --->

A1=P+Q

A2=[-(P+Q)/2]+i[(P-Q)/2][√3]

A3=[-(P+Q)/2]-i[(P-Q)/2][√3]

where

P=3√ {(-q/2)+√[(p/3)3+(q/2)2]}

Q=3√ {(-q/2)-√[(p/3)3+(q/2)2]}

[edit to add]Of course there is additionally the condition that k2/4 - c6/27 ≥ 0

Last edited:
[tex]
r = \frac {K t} { ( \frac {dr} {dt} )^2 - c }
[/tex]

[tex]
( \frac {dr} {dt} )^2 - c = \frac {K t} {r}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac {dr} {dt} = \sqrt{ \frac {K t} {r} + c }
[/tex]

Now let us try a change of variables

[tex]
p = \sqrt{ \frac {K t} {r} + c }
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac {dp} {dt} = \frac { \frac {K} {r} - \frac {K t} {r^2} \frac {dr} {dt} } { 2 \sqrt{ \frac {K t} {r} + c } }
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac {dp} {dt} = \frac { \frac {p^2 - c} {t} - \frac {(p^2 - c)^2} {K t} \frac {dr} {dt} } { 2 p }
[/tex]

[tex]
-\frac{ K t ( 2 p \frac {dp} {dt} - \frac {p^2 - c} {t} ) } {(p^2 - c)^2} = \frac {dr} {dt}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{ K t ( 2 p \frac {dp} {dt} - \frac {p^2 - c} {t} ) } {(p^2 - c)^2} = -p
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac {dp} {dt} = \frac { -p \frac {(p^2 - c)^2} {K } + p^2 - c } { 2 p t }
[/tex]

Using separation of variables

[tex]
\frac {p dp} {-p \frac {(p^2 - c)^2} {K} + p^2 - c} = \frac {dt} { 2 t }
[/tex]

[tex]
\int \frac {p dp} {-p \frac {(p^2 - c)^2} {K} + p^2 - c} = \int \frac {dt} { 2 t }
[/tex]

Now to do the left hand side integral we can apply the method of partial fractions. First we have to factor the whole denominator and to do this we have to find the polynomial's zeroes...

[tex]
-p \frac {(p^2 - c)^2} {K} + p^2 - c = 0
[/tex]

we can see when [tex] p = \sqrt{c} [/tex] or [tex] p = - \sqrt{c}[/tex] that the equation is satisfied, therefore these are two of the roots. Expanding...

[tex]
p^5 - 2 c p^3 - K p^2 + c^2 p + K c = 0
[/tex]

The polynomial is of order 5 therefore we have 3 more roots to find. Writing...

[tex]
( p + \sqrt{c} ) ( p - \sqrt{c} ) ( q p^3 + s p^2 + t p + u ) = 0
[/tex]

for constants q, s, t and u. Expanding this out...

[tex]
q p^5 + s p^4 + ( t - c q ) p^3 + ( u - c s ) p^2 - c t p - c u = 0
[/tex]

comparing this equation to the original expanded polynomial we can solve for the coefficients

q = 1
s = 0
t = -c
u = -K

So to find the remaining three roots we need to find the zeroes of

[tex]
p^3 - c p = K
[/tex]

Now we make Vièta's Substitution...

[tex]
p = y + \frac {c} {3y}
[/tex]

after the substitution is made...

[tex]
y^3 + \frac {c^3} {27 y^3} - K = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
(y^3)^2 + \frac {c^3} {27} - K y^3 = 0
[/tex]

Using the quadratic formula...

[tex]
y^3 = \frac { K \pm \sqrt{ K^2 - 4 \frac {c^3} {27} } } {2}
[/tex]

[tex]
y = \sqrt[3]{ \frac { K + \sqrt{ K^2 - 4 \frac {c^3} {27} } } {2} }
[/tex]

OR

[tex]
y = \sqrt[3]{ \frac { K - \sqrt{ K^2 - 4 \frac {c^3} {27} } } {2} }
[/tex]

Remember that [tex] p = y + \frac {c} {3y} [/tex]. We will call the two roots [tex]\epsilon_+[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon_-[/tex] respectively. Now we only have one remaining root to get...

[tex]
(p - \epsilon_+) (p - \epsilon_-) ( p - v ) = 0
[/tex]

Expanding...

[tex]
p^3 - ( \epsilon_- + \epsilon_+ + v ) p^2 + ( \epsilon_+ \epsilon_- + v ( \epsilon_- + \epsilon_+ ) ) p - v \epsilon_+ \epsilon_- = 0
[/tex]

Comparing this equation to [tex]p^3 - c p - K = 0[/tex], we can instantly see that

[tex]
v = \frac {K} {\epsilon_+ \epsilon_-}
[/tex]

So now we have all the roots and can factor the whole polynomial...

[tex]
\int \frac {p dp} {-p \frac {(p^2 - c)^2} {K} + p^2 - c} =
[/tex]
[tex]
\int \frac {p dp} {(p+\sqrt{c})(p-\sqrt{c})(p-\epsilon_+)(p-\epsilon_-)(p-v)}
[/tex]

Apply the method of partial fractions

[tex]
\frac {1} {(p+\sqrt{c})(p-\sqrt{c})(p-\epsilon_+)(p-\epsilon_-)(p-v)} =
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac {a_1} {p+\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_2} {p-\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_3} {p-\epsilon_+} + \frac {a_4} {p-\epsilon_-} + \frac {a_5} {p-v}
[/tex]

Therefore...

[tex]
1 = a_1 (p-\sqrt{c})(p-\epsilon_+)(p-\epsilon_-)(p-v) + a_2 (p+\sqrt{c})(p-\epsilon_+)(p-\epsilon_-)(p-v)
[/tex]
[tex]
+ a_3 (p+\sqrt{c})(p-\sqrt{c})(p-\epsilon_-)(p-v) + a_4 (p+\sqrt{c})(p-\sqrt{c})(p-\epsilon_+)(p-v) +
[/tex]
[tex]
a_5 (p+\sqrt{c})(p-\sqrt{c})(p-\epsilon_+)(p-\epsilon_-)
[/tex]

Now [tex]a_1[/tex], [tex]a_2[/tex], [tex]a_3[/tex], [tex]a_4[/tex] and [tex]a_5[/tex] are constants and are chosen so that the equation above is satisfied...

So now we have transformed the differential equation into two doable integrals

[tex]
\int p ( \frac {a_1} {p+\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_2} {p-\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_3} {p-\epsilon_+} + \frac {a_4} {p-\epsilon_-} + \frac {a_5} {p-v} ) dp = \int \frac {dt} { 2 t }
[/tex]

After these integrals have been evaluated you can substitute [tex]p = \sqrt{ \frac {K t} {r} + c }[/tex] back into the equation, solve for r thus solving the differential equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
MathNerd,

You are quite kind to make that effort. Time may tell me whether your derivation is correct.

Bravo for your elegant solution, MathNerd. Excuse my ignorance, but is my original equation at the end of the day exactly solvable analytically between r and t?

I invite you to see "Booda's Theorem" on my website, http://www.quantumdream.net. The above problem derives from the mathematics of "Relativity's Complex Probability" on that page.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
Bravo for your elegant solution, MathNerd. Excuse my ignorance, but is my original equation at the end of the day exactly solvable analytically between r and t?

I invite you to see "Booda's Theorem" on my website, http://www.quantumdream.net. The above problem derives from the mathematics of "Relativity's Complex Probability" on that page.

Well yes, the procedure I employed above does give an analytic solution. But the function r of t is not single-valued for any given t. This stems from the non-linearity of the differential equation.

Loren Equasion...

non-differential solution retracted...

Last edited:
Orion that is NOT a solution to the differential equation, the equation still includes [tex]\frac {dr} {dt} [/tex]! Also since [tex]c[/tex] is an arbitrary constant then [tex]c^2 \rightarrow c[/tex] without any loss of generality.

MathNerd
since c is an arbitrary constant then c2-->c without any loss of generality
Agreed (whether I understand the derivation entirely or not).

Orion,

please try completing your approach (which I believe to be equivalent to MathNerd's) while I endeavor to study TEX.

incorrect solution retracted...

Last edited:
Orion that still isn’t a solution to the differential equation!

Your (incorrect) solution is

[tex]r(t) = \frac{t}{ Ce^ \frac{-Kt^2}{} - \frac{c^2}{K} }[/tex]

From this we have

[tex]\frac {dr} {dt} = \frac {1} { Ce^ \frac{-Kt^2}{} - \frac{c^2}{K} } - \frac{-2 C K t^2 e^ \frac{-Kt^2}{}} { ( Ce^ \frac{-Kt^2}{} - \frac{c^2}{K} )^2 }[/tex]

Now the differential equation how you wrote it is

[tex]r = \frac{Kt} { ( \frac{dr}{dt} )^2 - c^2}[/tex]

So this says that

[tex]r ( \frac{dr}{dt} )^2 = Kt + c^2 r [/tex]

but from your (incorrect) solution we can see that

[tex]t ( \frac {1} { ( Ce^ \frac{-Kt^2}{} - \frac{c^2}{K} )^{\frac {3} {2} } } - \frac{-2 C K t^2 e^ \frac{-Kt^2}{}} { ( Ce^ \frac{-Kt^2}{} - \frac{c^2}{K} )^{\frac {5} {2} } } )^2[/tex]
Is not equal to
[tex] Kt + \frac{c^2 t}{ Ce^ \frac{-Kt^2}{} - \frac{c^2}{K} } [/tex]

Therefore your solution doesn't satisfy the differential equation and is subsequently incorrect!

MathNerd,

Would you define "single-valued" as you used it in reference to nonlinearity?

Originally posted by Loren Booda
MathNerd,

Would you define "single-valued" as you used it in reference to nonlinearity?
What I meant by the function r not being single-valued in general for any t means that for any given value of t there are multiple values of r that satisfy the equation between r and t.

e.g. let the function [tex]f(x)[/tex] and the parameter [tex]x[/tex] satisfy the following equation

[tex](f(x))^2 + 2 x^2 f(x) - \frac {4} {x} = 0[/tex]

Now we would say that [tex]f(x)[/tex] is not single-valued in general for any given [tex]x[/tex] because for a given value of [tex]x[/tex] there are two values of [tex]f(x)[/tex] that can satisfy the equation between them.

incorrect solution retracted

Last edited:

Originally posted by Orion1

[tex]r = \frac{Kt} { \left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 - c^2}[/tex]

[tex]\left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 - c^2 = \frac {K t}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 = \frac{Kt}{r} + c^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r}}[/tex]

[tex]dr = \int \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r}} dt[/tex]

differential solution:
[tex]r(t) = \frac{2r \left( c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r} \right)^{3/2}}{3K} + C[/tex]

That is also INCORRECT!

[tex]\int \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}} dt[/tex]
is NOT equal to
[tex]\frac{2r(t) \left( c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)} \right)^{3/2}}{3K}[/tex]

because if you differentiate [tex]\frac{2r(t) \left( c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)} \right)^{3/2}}{3K}[/tex] with respect to [tex]t[/tex] then
[tex]\sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}}[/tex] is not recovered (I believe your problem came from not recognizing [tex]r[/tex] as a function of [tex]t[/tex])

If your (incorrect) solution is [tex]r(t) = \frac{2r \left( c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r} \right)^{3/2}}{3K} + C[/tex]

It is easily seen that

[tex]\frac {dr} {dt} = \frac{2 \frac {dr}{dt} ( c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r})^{3/2}}{3K} + \frac{r ( c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r})^{1/2} (\frac{K}{r} - \frac{Kt}{r^2} \frac {dr} {dt})}{K}[/tex]

and then it is easily seen that this does NOT satisfy

[tex]r ( \frac {dr} {dt} )^2 = K t + c^2 r [/tex]

You could keep posting incorrect solutions all day just to have them refuted by me. It would serve in every ones best interest if you read a book on differential equations before you try to solve the problem again.

Differential Solution...

[tex]r(t) = \frac{Kt} { \left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 - c^2}[/tex]

[tex]\left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 - c^2 = \frac {K t}{r(t)}[/tex]

[tex]\left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 = \frac{Kt}{r(t)} + c^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dr}{dt} = \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}}[/tex]

[tex]dr = \int \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}} dt[/tex]

differential solution:
[tex]r(t) = t \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}} + C[/tex]

no other known solutions exist.

[tex]r(t) \left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 = Kt + c^2 r(t)[/tex]

[tex]r(t) \left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 = Kt + c^2 \left( t \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}} + C \right)[/tex]

no other known solutions exist.

I wish I put that after my solution. At least that way I wouldn’t have to keep on refuting your incorrect solutions.

[tex]dr = \int \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}} dt[/tex]

differential solution:
[tex]r(t) = t \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}} + C[/tex]

That is NOT what the integral equals, that integral with respect to [tex]t[/tex] which includes a function of [tex]t[/tex] is impossible to do. You have to separate [tex]t[/tex] with the [tex]dt[/tex] and [tex]r(t)[/tex] with the [tex]dr[/tex], which is known as separation of variables, to have any chance in solving this differential equation.

[tex]r(t) \left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 = Kt + c^2 r(t)[/tex]

[tex]r(t) \left( \frac{dr}{dt} \right)^2 = Kt + c^2 \left( t \sqrt{ c^2 + \frac{Kt}{r(t)}} + C \right)[/tex]

And I am wondering if you can't recognize that the first equation, the one that the correct solution satisfies, is VERRRRRY different than the equation your solution satisfies.

Therefore your solutions are ALL INCORRECT.

Integral solution...

[tex]p = \sqrt{ \frac {K t} {r} + c }[/tex]

MathNerd Theorem:
[tex]
\int p ( \frac {a_1} {p+\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_2} {p-\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_3} {p-\epsilon_+} + \frac {a_4} {p-\epsilon_-} + \frac {a_5} {p-v} ) dp = \int \frac {dt} { 2 t }
[/tex]

Integral:
[tex]\int \frac{dt}{2t} = \frac{log(t)}{2} + C[/tex]

semi-differential solution:
[tex]\frac{log(t)}{2} + C = \int p ( \frac {a_1} {p+\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_2} {p-\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_3} {p-\epsilon_+} + \frac {a_4} {p-\epsilon_-} + \frac {a_5} {p-v} ) dp[/tex]

[tex]p = \sqrt{ \frac {K t} {r} + c }[/tex]

MathNerd Theorem:
[tex]
[/tex]

Integral:
[tex]\int \frac{dt}{2t} = \frac{log(t)}{2} + C[/tex]

semi-differential solution:
[tex]\frac{log(t)}{2} + C = \int p ( \frac {a_1} {p+\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_2} {p-\sqrt{c}} + \frac {a_3} {p-\epsilon_+} + \frac {a_4} {p-\epsilon_-} + \frac {a_5} {p-v} ) dp[/tex]

Now you're getting somewhere!

The [tex]p[/tex] integral can be done by using integration by parts, it is trivial though so I won't do it here. You aren't going to get a simple solution in terms of [tex]r(t)[/tex] I suggest you make [tex]t[/tex] the dependent variable and [tex]r[/tex] the independent variable and have the function [tex]t(r)[/tex]. At least then [tex]t(r)[/tex] will be single valued!

3 different solutions

Hi, everybody;
My Maple 9 gave me 3 different solutions (obviously they are connected to each other) for the original equation. Here they are. I think, everything is clear. I beleive, the integrals can be evaluated under some conditions for K and c, e.g.: K=3, c=2, or K=c^2 or K=3*c (all of them are just the examples, not the real conditions leading to explicit solutions for r(t) or t(r)).
Best of luck,
Max.

Attachments

• Sol1.gif
    Sol1.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 558
  • Sol2and3.gif
    Sol2and3.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 551
solutions from Maxima

Hi again;
Maxima gives us the following solutions: MaxSol1and2.gif.
I think that the simplest variants of solutions are those for K=2 and c=sqrt(3)=3^(1/2) (I assume that K>0 and c>0): MaxSol3.gif and MaxSol4.gif.
Good luck,
Max.
P.S. Use Maxima http://maxima.sourceforge.net/download.shtml - it's free, open source and effective for the problems like this one.

Attachments

• MaxSol3.gif
    MaxSol3.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 600
  • MaxSol4.gif
    MaxSol4.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 563
  • MaxSol1and2.gif
    MaxSol1and2.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 659
Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "diff eq r=Kt/((dr/dt)2-c2)"?

This equation is a differential equation that represents the relationship between the position (r) of an object, its velocity (dr/dt), and a constant (K) over time (t). The denominator of the equation, (dr/dt)2-c2, represents the speed (c) of the object, which is squared and subtracted from the square of the object's velocity. This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model the motion of objects.

2. How do you solve this differential equation?

To solve this differential equation, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, integration, or substitution. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given. It is also possible to use computer software or numerical methods to approximate a solution.

3. What are some real-life applications of this equation?

This equation has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model the motion of objects, analyze electrical circuits, and predict population growth. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and other areas of science and engineering.

4. What are the limitations of this equation?

As with any mathematical model, there are limitations to this equation. It assumes that the object being studied has constant velocity and that the speed of the object remains constant over time. It also does not take into account external factors such as air resistance or friction. Additionally, the equation may not accurately model complex systems or situations with rapidly changing variables.

5. How can this equation be modified for different scenarios?

This equation can be modified by changing the constant (K) or the value of the speed (c). These modifications can be used to model different scenarios and situations. For example, in a scenario with air resistance, the speed (c) may be adjusted to account for the effect of air resistance on the object's motion.