Diff. EQ. system I.V.P. with complex cunjugates (Please check)

In summary: \\\frac{1}{5}\end{array}\right)\,i\xi^{(2)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,-\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,i\xi^{(3)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ -\frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\
VinnyCee
Here is the problem:

[tex]X'\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{cc}-2 & 5 \\-2 & 4 \end{array}\right)\,X,\,\,\,\,X(0)\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Here is what I have:

[tex]det(A\,-\,r\,I)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]r^2\,-\,2r\,+\,2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]r\,=\,-\frac{1}{2}\,\pm\,i,\,\,\,\,\lambda\,=\,-\frac{1}{2},\,\,\mu\,=\,1[/tex]

This is where I get confused. I have two possibilities for the r-value, right? Namely, they are [itex]r_1\,=\,-\frac{1}{2}\,+\,i[/itex] and [itex]r_2\,=\,-\frac{1}{2}\,-\,i[/itex]. Now I go back and use the [itex]A\,-\,r_n\,I\,=\,0[/itex] equation to figure a general solution for the system.

For [itex]r_1[/itex]:

[tex]\left[A\,-\,(-\frac{1}{2}\,+\,i)\,I\right]\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\xi_1 \\\xi_2 \end{array}\right)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-\frac{3}{2}\,-\,i & 5 \\-2 & \frac{9}{2}\,-\,i \end{array}\right)\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\xi_1 \\\xi_2 \end{array}\right)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\left(-\frac{3}{2}\,-\,i\right)\,\xi_1\,+\,5\,\xi_2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]5\,\xi_2\,=\,\left(\frac{3}{2}\,+\,i\right)\,\xi_1[/tex]

[tex]\xi_2\,=\,\left(\frac{3}{10}\,+\,\frac{1}{5}\,i\right)\,\xi_1[/tex]

[tex]\xi^{(1)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{10}\,+\,\frac{1}{5}\,i \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\xi^{(1)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{10} \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,i[/tex]

Now, finally, here is the general solution for [itex]r_1[/itex]:

[tex]X_1_c\,=\,C_1\,e^{-\frac{t}{2}}\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{10} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\,-\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\right]\,+\,C_2\,e^{-\frac{t}{2}}\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{10} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\right][/tex]

Using the initial condition given to solve for c1 and c2, I get:

[tex]C_1\,=\,1,\,\,\,\,\,\,C_2\,=\,-\frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Plugging back into the general EQ:

[tex]X_1\,=e^{-\frac{t}{2}}\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{10} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\,-\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\right]\,+\,\left(-\frac{3}{2}\right)\,e^{-\frac{t}{2}}\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{10} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\right][/tex]

And simplifying:

[tex]X_1\,=\,e^{-\frac{t}{2}}\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ cos\,t\,-\,\frac{3}{2}\,sin\,t \\\ -\frac{13}{20}\,sin\,t \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Now here is where I am confused. I get this answer for [itex]X_1[/itex], and I get a similar one for [itex]X_2[/itex] using the [itex]r_2[/itex] complex conjugate and the initial values:

[tex]X_2\,=\,e^{-\frac{t}{2}}\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ -2\,sin\,t \\\ -\frac{3}{5}\,sin\,t\,-\,\frac{2}{5}\,cos\,t \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Which one is correct (if either)? Or are they somehow the same?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
VinnyCee said:
Here is the problem:

[tex]X'\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{cc}-2 & 5 \\-2 & 4 \end{array}\right)\,X,\,\,\,\,X(0)\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Here is what I have:

[tex]det(A\,-\,r\,I)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]r^2\,-\,2r\,+\,2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]r\,=\,-\frac{1}{2}\,\pm\,i,\,\,\,\,\lambda\,=\,-\frac{1}{2},\,\,\mu\,=\,1[/tex]

You've made a mistake.

[tex]r\,=\,1\,\pm\,i[/tex]

ehild

Thanks

Thanks for showing me, I would have never found it!

After correcting that, I find the following:

[tex]r_1\,=\,1\,+\,i[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-3\,-\,i & 5 \\-2 & 3\,-\,i \end{array}\right)\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\xi_1 \\\xi_2 \end{array}\right)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\xi^{(1)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,i[/tex]

[tex]X_1_c\,=\,C_1\,e^{t}\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\,-\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\right]\,+\,C_2\,e^{t}\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\,+\,\left(\begin{array} {c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\right][/tex]

[tex]C_1\,=\,1,\,\,\,\,\,\,C_2\,=\,-3[/tex]

Assuming that is all correct, what do I do about the other three possibilities(two for each complex conjugate)?

VinnyCee said:
Thanks for showing me, I would have never found it!

After correcting that, I find the following:

[tex]r_1\,=\,1\,+\,i[/tex]

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}-3\,-\,i & 5 \\-2 & 3\,-\,i \end{array}\right)\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\xi_1 \\\xi_2 \end{array}\right)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\xi^{(1)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,i[/tex]

The general solution of the system of differential equation is

[tex]X=c_1\xi(1)e^{r_1t}+c_2\xi(2)e^{r_2t}[/tex]

You know the array [tex]\xi(1) [/tex] already, determine the other one belonging to the other root. Never mind that everything is complex :).
Now apply the initial condition and get c1 and c2. They will be complex (complex conjugates)
Now you can transform the exponentials to the trigonometric form and do all multiplications.
You get the solution and it is unique.

ehild

?

Well, there are two roots that we found, [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]r_2[/itex].

Each of those has two equations from which to solve for [itex]\xi[/itex]. I am really confused! Please help! I cannot just arbitrarily pick 2 out of 4 solutions and say it is right! What am I missing?

Here are the four solutions...

[tex]\xi^{(2)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ -\frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,i[/tex]

[tex]\xi^{(3)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ \frac{3}{2} \\\ 1 \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ \frac{1}{2} \\\ 0 \end{array}\right)\,i[/tex]

[tex]\xi^{(4)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ \frac{3}{2} \\\ 1 \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ -\frac{1}{2} \\\ 0 \end{array}\right)\,i[/tex]

But now what do I do with these?

This site is great. I found it very useful last semester for my ODE course.

VinnyCee: When you have complex eigenvalues, you need compute the eigenvector corresponding to only one of the two complex eigenvalues. By breaking up the resulting complex-valued solution into its Real and Imaginary parts, you obtain a pair of independent solutions which together with two arbitrary constants, make up the general solution.

So for example, choose one eigenvalue, obtain one eigenvector and then obtain the complex-value solution:

[tex]Y(t)=Y_{re}(t)+iY_{im}(t)[/tex]

Then the general solution is given by:

[tex]Y(t)=k_1Y_{re}(t)+k_2Y_{im}(t)[/tex]

Last edited:
Choosing one Eigenvalue

I choose the first one:

But what do you mean by [itex]Y(t)=Y_{re}(t)+iY_{im}(t)[/itex]?

Like this?:

[tex]Y(t)=\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)+...[/tex]

VinnyCee said:
Well, there are two roots that we found, [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]r_2[/itex].

Each of those has two equations from which to solve for [itex]\xi[/itex]. I am really confused! Please help! I cannot just arbitrarily pick 2 out of 4 solutions and say it is right! What am I missing?

You have got two systems of equations, one for each root.
As they are systems of homogeneous equations, one of the components of the [itex]\xi[/itex] arrays is arbitrary. You can take it 1. Only the ratio of the components is defined by the equations.
So you have one array for r1 and an other one for r2.
For

[tex] r_1=1+i [/tex]
[tex]\xi{(1)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3+i}{5} \end{array}\right)[/tex]

For

[tex] r_2=1-i [/tex]
[tex]\xi{(2)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3-i}{5} \end{array}\right)[/tex]

The general solution is

[tex]X=c_1\xi(1)e^{(1+i)t} + c_2\xi(2)e^{(1-i)t}[/tex].

In components:

[tex] x_1=c_1e^{(1+i)t}+c_2e^{(1-i)t}=1[/tex]

[tex] x_2= c_1\frac{3+i}{5}e^{(1+i)t}+c_2\frac{3-i}{5}e^{(1-i)t}[/tex]

At t=0:

[tex] c_1+c_2 = 1[/tex]

[tex]c_1\frac{3+i}{5}+c_2\frac{3-i}{5}=0 [/tex]

Solve for the c-s, replace them back to the general solution, use the trigonometric form, simplify, and you get (if I did everything correctly)

[tex] x_1= e^t(\cos{t} -3\sin{t})[/tex]

and

[tex]x_2 = -2 e^t \sin{t}[/tex]

ehild

VinnyCee said:
I choose the first one:

But what do you mean by [itex]Y(t)=Y_{re}(t)+iY_{im}(t)[/itex]?

Like this?:

[tex]Y(t)=\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)+...[/tex]

VinnyCee, we have:

[tex]\lambda_1=1+i[/tex]

The eigenvector corresponding to this eigenvalue is:

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{c}\
1 \\
\frac{1}{5}(3+i)\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Thus a solution is:

[tex]Y(t)=e^{(1+i)t}
\left(
\begin{array}{c}\
1 \\
\frac{1}{5}(3+i)\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Now, convert this to a real part and imaginary part via Euler's formula:

[tex]Y(t)=
\left(
\begin{array}{c}\
e^tCos(t) \\
e^t[\frac{3}{5}Cos(t)-\frac{1}{5}Sin(t)]\
\end{array}
\right) +i

\left(
\begin{array}{c}\
e^tSin(t) \\
e^t[\frac{3}{5}Sin(t)+\frac{1}{5}Cos(t)]\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

Note how the real part and the imaginary part has been separated into separate terms which are usually written:

[tex]Y(t)=Y_{re}(t)+iY_{im}(t)[/tex]

As I stated earlier, the general solution is then:

[tex]Y(t)=k_1Y_{re}(t)+k_2Y_{im}(t)[/tex]

Substituting the initial conditions, I get the same answer as ehild which I checked via Mathematica by back substitution. A plot of both functions is attached.

Attachments

• vinnycee.JPG
    vinnycee.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
A qualitative analysis

The global behavior of linear systems like these is determined by the value of the eigenvalues.

For the case with complex eigenvalues, the real part determines the behavior of the phase portrait (when y is graphed as a function of x parametrically. If the real part is less than 0, the exponential term of the solution forces the portrait to spiral into the origin. This is a spirial sink.

If the real part is greater than zero, the solution spirials off away from the origin to infinity. This is a spirial source.

And if the real part is 0, the solution is periodic.

The attached plot exhibits this solution with complex eigenvalue that has real part equal to 1. The solution tends away from its source.

Attachments

• spiral source.JPG
    spiral source.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Ok, but what about the E3 and E4 vectors that I also found?

That covers E1 and E2, but what about these?:

[tex]\xi^{(3)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ \frac{3}{2} \\\ 1 \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ \frac{1}{2} \\\ 0 \end{array}\right)\,i[/tex]

[tex]\xi^{(4)}\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ \frac{3}{2} \\\ 1 \end{array}\right)\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ -\frac{1}{2} \\\ 0 \end{array}\right)\,i[/tex]

VinnyCee said:
That covers E1 and E2, but what about these?:

Dude, I'll be honest with you: I don't know where you gettin' those [itex]\xi's[/tex] but I bet a dollar the answer I gave you is the general solution,[itex]\xi's[/itex] or no [itex]\xi's[/itex]. :smile:

Sweet! Almost done.

So the general solution is:

[tex]X(t)\,=\,C_1\,e^t\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\,-\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\right]\,+\,C_2\,e^t\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\right][/tex]

And then solving for the initial condition, I get [itex]C_1\,=\,1[/itex] and [itex]C_2\,=\,-3[/itex], right?

So then the exact solution is:

[tex]X(t)\,=\,e^t\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\,-\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\right]\,-\,3\,e^t\,\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 1 \\\ \frac{3}{5} \end{array}\right)\,sin\,t\,+\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ 0 \\\ \frac{1}{5} \end{array}\right)\,cos\,t\right][/tex]

Is that right?

Now I have simplified(hopefully!) that answer down to:

[tex]X(t)\,=\,e^t\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ cos\,t\,-\,3\,sin\,t \\\ -2\,sin\,t \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Is this all correct now? Thanks a lot for the help saltydog:)

VinnyCee said:
Now I have simplified(hopefully!) that answer down to:

[tex]X(t)\,=\,e^t\,\left(\begin{array}{c}\ cos\,t\,-\,3\,sin\,t \\\ -2\,sin\,t \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Is this all correct now? Thanks a lot for the help saltydog:)

Yes. Ehild got it before me.

1. What is a differential equation system with complex conjugates?

A differential equation system with complex conjugates is a system of differential equations where the coefficients and variables are complex numbers and their corresponding complex conjugates. These equations usually involve the derivatives of complex-valued functions and their conjugates.

2. How do you solve a differential equation system with complex conjugates?

To solve a differential equation system with complex conjugates, you can use the same methods as you would for solving a system of differential equations with real coefficients. You can use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and variation of parameters.

3. Why is it important to consider complex conjugates in a differential equation system?

In many real-world applications, the variables and coefficients in a system of differential equations are complex numbers. Considering the complex conjugates allows for a more accurate representation of the system and can lead to more precise solutions.

4. Can a differential equation system with complex conjugates have real-valued solutions?

Yes, a differential equation system with complex conjugates can have real-valued solutions. In some cases, the complex conjugates may cancel out, resulting in a purely real solution. However, in most cases, the solutions will involve complex numbers.

5. What are some applications of differential equation systems with complex conjugates?

Differential equation systems with complex conjugates are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with complex numbers, such as in electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in economics and biology to study complex systems with multiple variables.