1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff eqs

1. Mar 30, 2006 #1
    my biggest problem is the word problems. i can't figure out how to write the equation so that i can do the math...

Heat is escaping at a constant rate (dQ/dt is constant) through the walls of a long cylindrical pipe. Find the temperature T at a distance r from the axis of the cylinder if the inside wall has a radius r=1 and a temperature T=100, and the outside wall has r=2 and T=0.

so i couldn't figure out how to model this. dQ/dt= C doesn't get you very far... maybe cause i'm not sure how to relate the heat to temperature.

then i had another problem:

A substance evaporates at a rate proportional to the exposed surface. If a spherical mothball of radius 1/2 sm has a radius .4cm after 6 months, how long will it take for the radius to be 1/4cm?

i started with like dS/dt= k(SA), where S is the amount of substance and SA was the surface area, (which for a sphere is dependent on r, so this was looking good) but then i got confused about whether i need a negative sign or what else because the substance is lessening. then i wondered if the negative would be just be inherent in the solution, cause it ought to be i thought... i don't know. i'm just getting confused.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2006 #2
    I'm not a physicist, but I think if S is entropy then dQ = T dS.

You need a minus sign for your second equation because we want the rate of decrease of the substance, and not the rate of increase.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?