1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff.equation homework

1. Nov 8, 2005 #1
    The following diff.equation determines the number of people with a spesific illness:
    \frac{{dx}}{{dt}} = k\left( {150000 - x\left( t \right)} \right)
    At t=0, 30000 people are infected, and at t=15, 60000. How long will it take for 120000 are infected? Here is my work:
    x\left( t \right) = 30000 \cdot e^{k \cdot t} \\
    x\left( {15} \right) = 30000 \cdot e^{k \cdot 15} = 60000 \\
    \Rightarrow k = 0,046 \\
    x\left( t \right) = 30000 \cdot e^{0,046 \cdot t} = 120000 \\
    Problem is that this leads to no good, the answer is supposed to be about t=72 (days), but I'm not sure how to implement the 150000 in the beginning (at least I think that's the prob)...anyone?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2
    dx/dt = k*(p - x) has solutions of the form x = Aexp(-kt) + p,
    not just x = A*exp(-k*t).
  4. Nov 8, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Solving your DE will give an extra constant and you already had the constant k. You can determine the values of these two constants with x(0) = 30000 and x(15) = 60000. Are you sure of your solution of the DE?
  5. Nov 8, 2005 #4
    You mean am I sure it's supposed to be 72? That's just what it says in the back of the book that's all...
    I just want to know where in my attempt I turned wrong...
  6. Nov 8, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

No, I'm talking about the solution of the differential equation.
  7. Nov 11, 2005 #6
    No, I'm not at all sure about my solution becasue I'm not taking the 150000 into effect since I don't know where or how to do so. How would you go about solving it?
  8. Nov 11, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

TSN, as Qbert stated, the solution to the DE is:

You arrange it into the form:

obtain an integrating factor, integrate, done deal.

So you have two unknowns in the solution above, k and A, but you have two conditions:

Substituting the first condition into the equation yields:

you can solve for A right?

now that you have A, substitute the second condition:

That allows you to find k then. You know, rearrange, take the ln of both sides, solve for k.

Then once you have these values, you can easily solve for what t yields 120000:

I bet you can do this.:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?