Diff Geo - Ferret Serret Apparatus

• Thread starter sparkster
  • Start date
In summary, the problem states that if a C^k curve in the x,y plane has non-zero curvature, then its torsion must be identically 0. The hint given is to use diff functions x(s), y(s) such that a(s)=(x(s), y(s), 0) and show that the binormal vector field B has coordinates (0,0,1). However, the reasoning behind the problem may seem confusing as it suggests that if torsion exists, it must be 0. But this is not always true, as shown by an example in the same chapter where the curvature is non-zero but the torsion is also non-zero. It is important to note that this example is not in the xy
sparkster
The problem says this:

Let a(s) be a C^k curve in the x,y plane. Prove that if the curvature /=0 then the torsion is identically 0.

It gives a hint to note that there exist diff functions x(s), y(s) such that a(s)=(x(s), y(s), 0). Then show that B (Binormal vector field) = +/- (0,0,1).

I can get that the x and y coordinates of B are 0, but not the 1 part.

Also, I don't follow the reasoning behind the problem at all. If the curvature is zero, then you cannot calculate the normal, binormal, or torsion (at least not with the definitions we were given for them). So the problem seems to be saying that if the torsion exists, it must be 0!

But this can't be the case. An example in the same chapter of the text gives a(s)=r cos(ws), r sin (ws), hws). The curvature turns out to be non-zero, but the torsion is non-zero too. What am I not following?

Physics news on Phys.org
But this can't be the case. An example in the same chapter of the text gives a(s)=r cos(ws), r sin (ws), hws). The curvature turns out to be non-zero, but the torsion is non-zero too. What am I not following?

But that curve doesn't lie in the xy plane, as this problem requires.

StatusX said:
But that curve doesn't lie in the xy plane, as this problem requires.
D'oh!

Okay, so in the xy plane, any curve with curvature zero, doesn't have torsion, etc. That makes sense. Now I have to figure out where I'm going wrong in the proof.

1. What is Diff Geo - Ferret Serret Apparatus?

Diff Geo - Ferret Serret Apparatus, also known as the differential geometry ferret serret apparatus, is a scientific instrument used to study the shape and curvature of curved surfaces. It was invented by mathematicians Jean Frédéric Frenet and Joseph Alfred Serret in the 19th century.

2. How does the Diff Geo - Ferret Serret Apparatus work?

The apparatus consists of a movable frame with two perpendicular rods. The rods can be adjusted to any position on the surface being studied. By measuring the position of the rods and the change in position when the frame is moved, the apparatus can calculate the curvature of the surface at any given point.

3. What are the applications of the Diff Geo - Ferret Serret Apparatus?

The apparatus is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to study and understand the geometry of curved surfaces. It is also used in the design of structures, such as bridges and tunnels, where knowledge of curvature is crucial.

4. Is the Diff Geo - Ferret Serret Apparatus still used today?

Yes, the apparatus is still used in modern scientific research and education. While there are now computer programs that can perform similar calculations, the physical apparatus is still useful in providing a visual representation of the curvature of a surface.

5. Are there any limitations to the Diff Geo - Ferret Serret Apparatus?

Yes, the apparatus can only be used to study surfaces that can be represented in three dimensions. It also requires a flat surface to be placed on, as any curvature in the surface could affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, it is limited to measuring the curvature at a single point on a surface, so multiple measurements would need to be taken to fully understand the curvature of a surface.