1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffeomorphism problem

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]M[/tex] is a smooth manifold, [tex]U \subset M[/tex] is a proper open set.
    Show that there exists a smooth non-trivial diffeomorphism from [tex]M[/tex] onto itself which restriction on [tex]M - U[/tex] is identity ("identity outside [tex]U[/tex]").

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If there exists a non-zero vector field that is zero outside [tex]U[/tex], in principle, its flow may be the required diffeomorphism. How do I construct the vector field? It is difficult because I need to work in local charts or is it trivial to see such vector field exists? a local flow is a local one-parameter group of local diffeomorphisms. When can it be extended to the whole [tex]M[/tex]? Should the vector field be complete?

There are too many questions, I don't know how to start, please point me a right direction.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?