Diffeq review book suggestions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a book recommendation for a course in vector field theory, which requires knowledge in first-order and second-order differential equations, matrices, and systems of linear differential equations. The options mentioned include the Boyce and DiPrima text, Strogatz's Nonlinear dynamics and chaos, and Arfken's Mathematical Methods for Physicists. The preference is for a book that can be kept as a reference for future use.
jbusc
Hi, sorry if this is posted/answered all the time, but I need some book advice.

Basically, I will be taking this course in the fall:

Vector field theory; theorems of Gauss, Green, and Stokes; Fourier series and integrals; complex variables; linear partial differential equations; series solutions of ordinary differential equations.

Text: Erwin Resize: Advanced Engineering Mathematics, 8th edition

And required prep knowledge for entering this course is:

First-order differential equations; second-order linear differential equations; determinants and matrices; systems of linear differential equations; Laplace transforms.

Text: Elementary Differential Equations, Boyce and DiPrima, 7th ed.

Now I've taken tons of Linear Algebra and Multivariable calculus, but I need brush up on diffeqs. Basically, I'd like a book that reviews/covers what I need to know from the second class.

I thought of Schaum's outlines, but I also figured that Resize's book might review in the first couple chapters what I need to know also. Any suggestions? Thanks. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The Boyce and DiPrima text is quite basic - and not a hard read - why not use that one?

If not, Strogatz: Nonlinear dynamics and chaos: With applications to physics, biology, chemistry, and engineering, is an option.

Though, for a prerequisite, I'd go for B&DiP

I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to drop extra $$$ for another textbook, but I guess it isn't a big deal. Is Boyce & DiPrima the kind of text scientists and engineers should always keep on their shelves as a reference? If so I'll consider buying it, otherwise, if I do buy a textbook I would like to have one to keep around forever.

B&DiP's more of a core book for an UG maths course on DEs.

Strogatz has more applicable examples.

(I still have B&DiP on my shelf from UG days tho' - and still look to it from time to time.)

Can you not get it out of the library - read through it, and see if you like what you see.

jbusc said:
I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to drop extra $$$ for another textbook, but I guess it isn't a big deal. Is Boyce & DiPrima the kind of text scientists and engineers should always keep on their shelves as a reference? If so I'll consider buying it, otherwise, if I do buy a textbook I would like to have one to keep around forever.

Arfken, Mathematical Methods for Physicists?
useful forever :)

braun, ode book with applications, is available cheap and to me is highly preferable to bdip.

1. What are some good review books for differential equations?

Some popular review books for differential equations include "A First Course in Differential Equations" by Dennis G. Zill, "Elementary Differential Equations" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, and "Differential Equations: An Introduction to Modern Methods and Applications" by James R. Brannan and William E. Boyce.

2. Are there any free online resources for reviewing differential equations?

Yes, there are many free online resources available for reviewing differential equations, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These platforms offer video lectures, practice problems, and other interactive materials to help you review and understand differential equations.

3. Can you recommend a review book for beginners in differential equations?

If you are new to differential equations, "A First Course in Differential Equations" by Dennis G. Zill is a great choice. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and includes many examples and practice problems to help you understand the concepts.

4. Is there a review book that covers advanced topics in differential equations?

Yes, "Differential Equations: An Introduction to Modern Methods and Applications" by James R. Brannan and William E. Boyce covers advanced topics in differential equations, such as series solutions, Laplace transforms, and partial differential equations. It is a great resource for students who have already taken a course in differential equations and want to deepen their understanding of the subject.

5. Are there any review books that come with practice problems and solutions?

Yes, many review books for differential equations come with practice problems and solutions, such as "Elementary Differential Equations" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima and "Differential Equations and Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. These practice problems can help you test your understanding and practice applying the concepts you have learned.