1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between 2nd and 3rd editions of Strang's Introduction to Linear Algebra?

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I want to buy Dr. Strang's Introduction to Linear Algebra to go with the online MIT lectures, and I am debating whether to buy the second or third edition of the book. The third edition has particularly good reviews on Amazon, but it is slightly more expensive. I would just go ahead and buy the second edition (especially since I think this is the edition that was out during the filming of the lectures and hence has corresponding problems), but I wondered if there was anything important that was clarified with the third edition. Specifically, a few Amazon reviewers of the second edition mentioned that he focused too much on his "discovery" style in some cases and left things like Determinants, Eigenvalues, and Eigenvectors inadequately explained. I also read some reviews of this edition that complained of too many complex tangents creating confusion in the text.

So basically I was just hoping to know whether there was a lot of text revision between the second and third editions, or if there was only the standard changing of a few problems here and there. If the former, it is possible that Strang could have rethought his style a bit and come up with a friendlier book (in which case I should buy the third edition). If the latter, then I can just chalk the negative comments up to personal opinion and buy the cheaper, second edition.

Input would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

P.S. I also have Poole's book on the way, so hopefully the two will complement each other.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted