1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between an orthogonal complement and the orthogonal complement's basis.

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't understand the difference between an orthogonal complement and it's basis. In this problem: W = [x,y,z]: 2x-y+3z=0 Find w's orthogonal complement and the basis for the orthogonal complement.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did a quick reduced row echelon to [2,-1,3] to get [1,-.5,1.5] and then found the nullspace which is [.5,1,0] and [-1.5,0,1] and this is either the orthogonal complement or the orthogonal complement's basis. Anyone know the difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

4. Dec 7, 2008 #3
    Re: Difference between an orthogonal complement and the orthogonal complement's basis

I essentially answered my question before. My first one was getting convoluted with my posts. So I started a new one based on a different question. Would you mind deleting my original thread? And if you do, would you mind deleting your post claiming I started multiple threads so as not to discourage people from helping.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?