1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between Degree of Engineer and Doctor of Philosophy

1. Mar 4, 2005 #1
    What is the difference between Degree of Engineer and Doctor of Philosophy ( Ph.D )? How many more years does a Master Degree holder need to take one of each?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2005 #2
    To get a PhD its 8-10 yeas of school total. But where as you aleady have your Masters in (I'm assuming) engineering, you probably have another 4 years. I'm not 100% sure on that though.

4. Mar 5, 2005 #3
    It takes as long as it takes.

PhD never has a set timeframe. Its usually a year of classes, qualifying exams, and then you work on your thesis until its finished. Some people can do it all in 3 years. Some people take as many as 6 years, or even more sometimes.

5. Mar 5, 2005 #4
    There are a lot of things involved with getting a doctorate in anything. How some people manage to complete everything and do it well is beyond me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?