Difference between Democrat and Republican?

  • News
  • Thread starter Zeropaxx
  • Start date
  • #1
Zeropaxx

Main Question or Discussion Point

Can someone please state that difference between the two. To me they seem to blur together.
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
RageSk8
They do as there are moderates on both sides. Democrats tend to be much more socially liberal than Republicans. Republicans tend to favor less regulation of the economy (this depends on the specific form of regulation, but for the most part this holds). Democrats, as a party, tend to be pro-choice, Republicans pro-life. Democrats tend to favor social policy at the federal lever, Republicans at the state level (again depends on the issue).
 
  • #3
Zeropaxx
my view

To me it just seems as simple as they both are into the money rather than the people who elected them. I believe ti should be the other way around. Or atleast make to welfare of the US population a priority, rather than the money.
 
  • #4
Zero
The difference in idiology is there, the difference in behavior is certainly fuzzy. The major difference I see is that Democrats see the world as complex, while the Republicans take a more simplistic stance, and are proud of their simplicity.
 
  • #5
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,786
7
Democrats get a lot of their money from big unions. Republicans get most of theirs from big corporations. It does make a difference in how they act when they get into office.
 
  • #6
russ_watters
Mentor
19,599
5,869


Originally posted by Zeropaxx
To me it just seems as simple as they both are into the money rather than the people who elected them. I believe ti should be the other way around. Or atleast make to welfare of the US population a priority, rather than the money.
It isn't the money, its the power. Political office doesn't really pay very much.
 
  • #7
Zero


Originally posted by russ_watters
It isn't the money, its the power. Political office doesn't really pay very much.
That doesn't mean there isn't alot of money in it.
 
  • #8
Njorl
Science Advisor
258
10


Originally posted by russ_watters
It isn't the money, its the power. Political office doesn't really pay very much.
I certainly agree with this. Vanity is the sin of choice in politics. Greed is just a perk.

Njorl
 
  • #9
363
0
I agree, Njorl.
I would like to add that generally:
Republicans are conservative.
Democracts are liberal.
That Republicans belive that the gov't that governs least governs best (but of course not ot the point of lawlessness)and the Democrats are for big gov't.
A big problem with defining them is how very general you have to be. There are many exceptions to what others and I have said.
EDIT: Hey, I finally figured out italics!
 
  • #10
russ_watters
Mentor
19,599
5,869


Originally posted by Zero
That doesn't mean there isn't alot of money in it.
?? Yes, it does. There is not a lot of money in politics. The president of the US (he's like the CEO of a company with 250,000,000 employees) makes $400,000. Thats PEANUTS compared with what the CEO of a decent sized company makes and a tiny fraction of what they make after getting back into the private sector. They can make that in a WEEK on the lecture circuit. And look at Hillary Clinton - she made more than DOUBLE for an ADVANCE on a BOOK about being MARRIED to the president than Billy did the whole time he WAS president.
 
  • #11
Zero


Originally posted by russ_watters
?? Yes, it does. There is not a lot of money in politics. The president of the US (he's like the CEO of a company with 250,000,000 employees) makes $400,000. Thats PEANUTS compared with what the CEO of a decent sized company makes and a tiny fraction of what they make after getting back into the private sector. They can make that in a WEEK on the lecture circuit. And look at Hillary Clinton - she made more than DOUBLE for an ADVANCE on a BOOK about being MARRIED to the president than Billy did the whole time he WAS president.
See? You prove my point..there is tons of cash in politics! Not to mention if you can funnels some government contracts into your own pocket, which is more common than you might think.
 
  • #12
russ_watters
Mentor
19,599
5,869


Originally posted by Zero
See? You prove my point..there is tons of cash in politics!
[?] [?] Huh? Oh wait, is this another one of those 0%=50%="equality" things?
 
  • #13
Zero


Originally posted by russ_watters
[?] [?] Huh? Oh wait, is this another one of those 0%=50%="equality" things?
Go away Russ, your services are no longer required here.
 
  • #14
RageSk8
Russ,

Just because the salaries of politicians are not incredibly high does not mean that there is not a lot of money in politics. Many politicians do gain money outside of the political system because of their positions.
 
  • #15
Zero
Originally posted by RageSk8
Russ,

Just because the salaries of politicians are not incredibly high does not mean that there is not a lot of money in politics. Many politicians do gain money outside of the political system because of their positions.
Uh huh...as though anyone would pay Clinton for his memoirs if he were a plumber, or would pay Bush I anything o speak if he were a schoolteacher. Politics leads to cash indirectly, but as surely as the sun rises in the east.
 
  • #16
BoulderHead
Politicians have a good life.

Politicians;
Their income alone provide for smooth living. On top of that are perks and free services which are available to them. Afterwards, they can land a well paying job making hundreds of thousands of dollars per year for what might amount to being little more than a figurehead on a board. They are much better connected to power and wealth than the average citizen. Politics, like prostitution, pays. In this respect there is little or no difference between Democrats and Republicans.

(that last sentence thrown in only to make it appear as if I'm talking on topic, hehe).
 
  • #17
russ_watters
Mentor
19,599
5,869


Originally posted by Zero
Go away Russ, your services are no longer required here.
Gee, thats nice. Delete it.
Just because the salaries of politicians are not incredibly high does not mean that there is not a lot of money in politics. Many politicians do gain money outside of the political system because of their positions.
Rage, your second sentence contradicts your first. You used the words "in" and "outside."
 
  • #18
Zero
Welcome back, Russ...I'm hoping you had a good weekend?:smile:

You have to admit, Russ...there is good money to be made from politics, even though the salary is low. It is the same way that pro athletes can often make much more as endorsers than in their sport(just look at Anna Kornikova).
 
  • #19
FZ+
1,561
3
Thats PEANUTS compared with what the CEO of a decent sized company makes and a tiny fraction of what they make after getting back into the private sector.
On the other hand, what company would have Dubya as its CEO? (Without threats and massive bribes...:wink:)
 
  • #20
Zero
We could always say that the Republican Party has turned towards hatred as a weapon against Democratic success, while Democrats have a rational anger about the Bush Administration's failures. There's a big difference right there.
 
  • #21
363
0
Now Zero you know that's not true, the Democrat and Republican parties hate each other as much and in the same way that siblings hate each other. As near as I can tell, only .00001% of adults of the US have actually grown up.
 
  • #22
Zeropaxx
So whats say we...kill the party system. Why were the parties put together?
Why is there a government?
what is it here to do?

Ask your selves these questions and then ask your selves its the so called "Government, by the people, and for the people," Really for the people?
 
  • #23
Zero
Originally posted by Zeropaxx
So whats say we...kill the party system. Why were the parties put together?
Why is there a government?
what is it here to do?

Ask your selves these questions and then ask your selves its the so called "Government, by the people, and for the people," Really for the people?
No, because too many idiots think that everything exists for the richest 1%. We may as well have royalty and a feudal system in America, because that is pretty much how it works in practice.
 
  • #24
Zeropaxx
saving america

I have spend day and night thinking aobut how to fix this world that we live in for the better part of four months. I could use some input. more heads are better then my out dated piece of wet wear. Any suggestions?

I'm looking to:
1. Make it cheaper to live in america.
2. Have free health care.
3. Make drinking, fatty fast food, and cigarettes made illegal in the united States.
4. everyone gets a job.
5. The best Education for free for everyone.

How do we achieve this I ask you.

Oh yes I do realize that by my calculations we won't need to save the US, but it gives me something to do, when I can't sleep at night.
 
  • #25
363
0
I completely disagree. You say 'free health care and free education", but how does one get something for free? The only way I can see it is if health care and education are payed for by taxes, but in that case it really isn't free, you are merely using the gov't as a middle man to pay for things, which is stupid. The whole thing reaks of socialism to me.
I like fast food and am not fat from it, it shouldn't be illegal.
I need some claritfication on this part: everyone gets a job. Do you mean everyone gets a good job? If so, I still disagree, because that too is socialist-esque. Some people are lazy and stupid and do not disserve a good job.
 

Related Threads on Difference between Democrat and Republican?

Replies
36
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
30
Views
4K
Replies
19
Views
4K
Replies
13
Views
2K
Replies
33
Views
34K
Replies
11
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
3K
Top