Exploring Orbital Velocity vs RMS of Eddy Velocities

In summary, there is a difference between the orbital velocity of an eddy and the root mean square of the velocity fluctuations in a turbulent flow. The characteristic eddy velocity is the orbital velocity, and the turnover time of an eddy is the time needed for it to complete one revolution. However, there is debate over whether the orbital velocity is the same as the root mean square of the velocity fluctuations. Many books make this assumption to derive equations, but it may not accurately represent the large scales dominated by low frequencies.
rdemyan
Is there a difference between the orbital velocity of an eddy and the root mean square of the velocity fluctuations? I'm particularly interested in understanding the eddy turnover time of the largest eddies in a turbulent flow, which is given by the characteristic eddy size and the characteristic eddy velocity. As I understand it, this characteristic eddy velocity is the orbital velocity. The turnover time is the time needed for the spinning eddy to complete one revolution; so the orbital velocity should be used. Frankly I'm not convinced that the orbital velocity is the same as the root mean square of the velocity fluctuations. It seems that many books derive equations based on this assumption, but the authors are usually careful to state that the velocities are "of the order of" which then allows for the derivation of relatively simple equations. I would greatly appreciate thoughts on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard it called orbital velocity before. I'll preface this by saying I'm not super well-versed in turbulence theory.

If you look at a turbulent power spectrum, it is highly biased toward low frequencies representing the largest eddies. This implies that the rms of the fluctuations technically contains all scales but is overwhelmingly dominated by the large scales. If an author makes the assumption you discuss, it's basically equivalent to making the assumption that the power contained in the large scales is much larger than small scales so the rms of the fluctuations are a good stand-in for the large scales.

1. What is orbital velocity and how is it related to RMS of eddy velocities?

Orbital velocity is the speed at which an object orbits around a central body, such as a planet or star. It is related to the RMS (root mean square) of eddy velocities, which is a measure of the average speed of turbulent eddies in a fluid. In the context of fluid dynamics, orbital velocity is often used to describe the motion of particles within a fluid, and it is influenced by the RMS of eddy velocities.

2. How do scientists measure orbital velocity and RMS of eddy velocities?

Orbital velocity can be measured using various methods, such as radar or tracking satellites. The RMS of eddy velocities can be measured using techniques such as particle image velocimetry (PIV) or hot-wire anemometry.

3. What factors can affect the relationship between orbital velocity and RMS of eddy velocities?

The relationship between orbital velocity and RMS of eddy velocities can be influenced by various factors, such as the properties of the fluid (e.g. viscosity, density), the size and shape of the particles in the fluid, and the presence of other forces (e.g. gravity, magnetic fields).

4. How does understanding the relationship between orbital velocity and RMS of eddy velocities benefit scientific research?

Studying the relationship between orbital velocity and RMS of eddy velocities can provide valuable insights into the behavior of fluids and the motion of particles within them. This information can be applied to various fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and aerodynamics, and can help improve our understanding of natural phenomena and improve the design of various technologies.

5. What are some potential applications of studying orbital velocity and RMS of eddy velocities?

Understanding the relationship between orbital velocity and RMS of eddy velocities can have practical applications in industries such as aviation, marine engineering, and energy production. It can also be useful in predicting and mitigating the effects of natural disasters such as hurricanes and tsunamis. Additionally, this knowledge can aid in the development of more efficient and sustainable transportation methods, such as wind turbines and water currents.