Difference between internal E and enthelpy

In summary: If there are enough people interested in this, I'll definitely look into it!In summary, the book suggests that internal energy and potential energy are the same, but the answer to a question is no. Internal energy includes potential energy. Both pages that I linked say that E = KE + PE + U. This suggests that internal energy and potential energy are completely distinct, yet the book question suggests that they are the same. Also, how is internal energy different from enthalpy? Enthalpy is the total energy of a system, including the energy of the particles inside the system and the energy of the external environment.
chiddler

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand two things:

1. How internal energy is distinct from kinetic and potential energy

2. The difference between internal energy and enthalpy.

Homework Equations

enthalpy ΔH = ΔU + PΔV
internal energy ΔU = Q + W = Q - PΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

I have searched old posts. I found this. And this.

My book asked a question: if an exothermic reaction occurs in a closed system, does internal energy change? The answer is no. So it seems that internal energy includes potential energy. Both pages that I linked say that E = KE + PE + U. This suggests that internal energy and potential energy are completely distinct, yet the book question suggests that they are the same! Also, how is internal energy different from enthalpy?

thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chiddler said:
1. How internal energy is distinct from kinetic and potential energy
For ideal gases, internal energy is the total kinetic energy of the molecules. For a real gas, it includes potential and kinetic energies.

In an ideal gas, potential energy (which is energy due to the separation of molecules relative to others) does not exist. So it is only kinetic energy that you have to take into account. Translational kinetic energy is a function of temperature. But diatomic and polyatomic molecules can have kinetic energy other than translational kinetic energy (vibrational, rotational). These other kinetic energies are a function of temperature as well.

For real gases, molecules exert forces on each other. This forces can be relatively strong (eg. water vapour) or weak (vanderwaals forces). It takes energy to overcome those forces to increase the separation of the molecules - ie. potential energy. So when energy is added and volume increases, some of the energy added goes into increasing potential energy, which means it does not go into increasing the kinetic energy of the molecules.
My book asked a question: if an exothermic reaction occurs in a closed system, does internal energy change? The answer is no. So it seems that internal energy includes potential energy. Both pages that I linked say that E = KE + PE + U. This suggests that internal energy and potential energy are completely distinct, yet the book question suggests that they are the same! Also, how is internal energy different from enthalpy?
In any process the change in internal energy is equal to the energy transfer that occurs. This energy transfer can result from Work (W) being done on or by the system or heat flow (Q) into or out of the system.

Since H = U + PV,

dH = dU + PdV + VdP

For an ideal gas PdV = - VdP so dH = dU. But for real gases, PdV ≠ VdP so enthalpy becomes useful.

AM

thanks very much for the excellent response.

chiddler said:
thanks very much for the excellent response.
The only problem is that the explanation for dH is not quite right!
Andrew Mason said:
For an ideal gas PdV = - VdP so dH = dU. But for real gases, PdV ≠ VdP so enthalpy becomes useful.
This is only true if T is constant, in which case dH = dU = 0.

I'll have a look at this again later.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
The only problem is that the explanation for dH is not quite right!
This is only true if T is constant, in which case dH = dU = 0.

I'll have a look at this again later.

AM

appreciate it. I'm not very comfortable in a calculus based approach as my physics was only algebra based. So could you please accommodate me in your response? (ie, more conceptual, please)

I didn't ask immediately because I didn't think this question gathered enough interest for follow up questions!

What is the difference between internal energy and enthalpy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a system, including both kinetic and potential energy. Enthalpy, on the other hand, is the total energy of a system plus the work done to the system by its surroundings.

How are internal energy and enthalpy related?

The relationship between internal energy and enthalpy is described by the equation H = U + PV, where H is enthalpy, U is internal energy, P is pressure, and V is volume. This equation shows that enthalpy is dependent on both the internal energy of a system and its external pressure and volume.

Can internal energy and enthalpy change during a physical or chemical process?

Yes, both internal energy and enthalpy can change during a physical or chemical process. This change is often due to the transfer of heat or work between the system and its surroundings.

Which one, internal energy or enthalpy, is a state function?

Enthalpy is a state function, meaning it only depends on the initial and final states of a system, and not on the path taken to get there. Internal energy, however, is not a state function as it is dependent on the path taken to reach a particular state.

What are some practical applications of understanding the difference between internal energy and enthalpy?

Understanding the difference between internal energy and enthalpy is crucial in many fields, such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, in chemical reactions, enthalpy is used to measure the heat released or absorbed, while internal energy is used to calculate the change in temperature of a system. In engineering, knowledge of enthalpy and internal energy is essential for designing efficient systems and processes.