Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between molecules and compounds

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    When classifying as to whether an atom, molecule, element, or compoud, what would the following be?

-H20
    -H2
    -C6H12O6 (glucose)
    -N2

I guess i am kind of confused as to the difference between molecules and compounds. I thought water was a molecule, but according to the definition of a compound which says two or more kinds of atoms chemically combined would water be a compound? Is this the same with glucose?

Thanks for helping a confused person! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2
    What is the difference between a compound and a molecule?

A molecule is formed when two or more atoms join together chemically. A compound is a molecule that contains at least two different elements. All compounds are molecules but not all molecules are compounds.

Molecular hydrogen (H2), molecular oxygen (O2) and molecular nitrogen (N2) are not compounds because each is composed of a single element. Water (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4) are compounds because each is made from more than one element. The smallest bit of each of these substances would be referred to as a molecule. For example, a single molecule of molecular hydrogen is made from two atoms of hydrogen while a single molecule of water is made from two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen.

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your help! That clears things up a lot :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?