Difference between optical and geometrical length in optical path

In summary, the difference between optical and geometrical lengths of an optic path is that the optical path length is the product of the geometric length and the refractive index of the medium.
deni
I'm searching for a week from now and can't find out difference between optical and geometrical length in optical path.
Can anyone explain or give me idea or how can I find it out?

Science news on Phys.org
After looking around a bit, it appears that the "optical length" means the "optical path length", which is the product of the geometric length (the physical distance the light travels) and the refractive index of the medium.

For example, if light travels through 10 cm of water with a refractive index of 1.33 it will have traveled along a shorter optical path than light which travels through 10 cm of glass with a refractive index of 1.5, even though both have the same geometrical length.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_path_length
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/OpticalPathLength.html

Likes deni
I agree that "optical path length" is probably what you're looking for. If you can give us a link to where you saw "optical length", or a brief quote if it wasn't on a web page, we can see the context and make sure about this.

Likes deni
The content wasn't in English so this was the reason why I haven't posted reference.
I have learned Geometrical Optics but still I can't understand completely the question.

The question exactly was: What is difference between optical and geometrical length of optic path?

Now I'm really confused. So yes light speed depends on the medium but there really exist optical length or not!

How to calculate "optical path length" and how to calculate "geometrical path length"!

The optical path length is simply the distance the light travels times the refractive index. For example, light traveling through 10 cm of water has an optical path length of 10 x 1.333 or 13.3 cm. The geometric length is simply the physical distance the light travels.

The optical path length is important because it allows us to find out what the phase of the light will be at any point, whereas the geometrical length doesn't.

Drakkith said:
The optical path length is simply the distance the light travels times the refractive index. For example, light traveling through 10 cm of water has an optical path length of 10 x 1.333 or 13.3 cm. The geometric length is simply the physical distance the light travels.

The optical path length is important because it allows us to find out what the phase of the light will be at any point, whereas the geometrical length doesn't.

c1 = n * c2

where: c1 - optical path length , c2 - geometrical path length and n - refreactive index

Thank you a lot this is exactly what I was searching for.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between optical and geometrical length in optical path?

The optical length refers to the actual physical distance traveled by a light ray through a medium, while the geometrical length is the straight line distance between the start and end points of the light ray's path.

2. Why are optical and geometrical lengths different in optical path?

Optical length takes into account the refractive index of the medium, which affects the speed of light and therefore the distance traveled. Geometrical length only considers the straight line distance between two points.

3. How do optical and geometrical lengths affect the behavior of light in a medium?

The difference in optical and geometrical lengths determines the amount of refraction of light at the interface between two media, which can affect the path and direction of the light ray as it passes through.

4. Can you give an example of the difference between optical and geometrical lengths in optical path?

An example would be a light ray traveling through a glass prism. The optical length would be longer than the geometrical length, as the light is traveling through a medium with a higher refractive index.

5. How do we measure the optical and geometrical lengths of a light ray in optical path?

The optical length can be measured by taking into account the refractive index of the medium and the path traveled by the light ray. The geometrical length can be measured by directly measuring the straight line distance between the start and end points of the light ray's path.