1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between poles (magnetic N/S, geographic N/S, geomagnetic N/S, and dip N/S)

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    In reading my physics book, there was mention of different types of poles. I was hoping someone could explain the differences and possibly supply a visual representation of the poles with respect to each other as to where they lie on Earth. The different poles were the magnetic N/S, geographic N/S, geomagnetic N/S, and dip N/S.

Also, going simpler, is Earth's geographic north, located near the magnetic north or south pole? I've seen both, like, mention of Earth's north pole, actually being a south pole, yet we still call it magnetic north. I don't quite understand that, at least why we call it magnetic north when its actually a south pole.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

We call the Earth's magnetic north pole a "north" pole because it is located in the north. We call a magnet's north pole a "north" pole because, if allowed to rotate freely in a horizontal plane, it will point northward.

Opposite poles attract. So the Earth's "north" pole is a magnetic south pole.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    That just seems like it leads to unnecessary confusion. I feel it'd make more sense just to call our north magnetic pole a south magnetic pole since that's what by definition it is. Thanks for an explanation though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook