Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between propeller and fan

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    Good evening to all...I am troubling with a doubt that how a propeller differs from a fan regarding jet engines..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:welcome:

In some respects, there isn't much difference, in other respects there are big differences.

If you want a better answer, you'll have to ask a more specific question.

4. Feb 23, 2017 #3
    Thank you

5. Feb 23, 2017 #4
    How a turbofan jet engine differs from turbo prop jet engine?

6. Feb 23, 2017 #5

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Feb 24, 2017 #6
    I'm just making an observation here which may or may not be the answer. A fan is stationary and displacing or moving a medium within its environment. A propeller isn't stationary. Its used to create movement by using a medium to displace itself. Putting the funky designs aside, both work by using rotational force on a wing design to create pressure differentials. Again I could be wrong but I think when the medium is the source of the applied force fans and propellers become turbines and impellers. An electric wind generator is a wind turbine, not a wind propeller.

8. Feb 24, 2017 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Feb 24, 2017 #8

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These quotes from Wikipedia probably answer best your questions about propeller, turbofan and turbojet:

10. Feb 24, 2017 #9
    Thank yoh

11. Feb 24, 2017 #10

rcgldr

Homework Helper

I'm wondering why household fans use fans instead of something like a propeller from a large radio control model. Perhaps there's an efficiency trade off depending on the goal (fan moves air, rotor generates thrust), and/or the desired output flow speed. One observation is that the propeller needs to rotate fast enough that air doesn't flow backwards between the propeller blades, while a fan blocks off most of any potential back flow between fan blades, allowing the fan to operate at a lower speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted