What are the differences between natural, rational, whole, and integer numbers?

• Thread starter info.edp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, Natural numbers are the counting numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, ...), integers are the set of numbers that include both positive and negative numbers (... -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3 ...), rational numbers are the numbers that can be expressed as a fraction (p/q where p and q are integers and q is not equal to 0), and whole numbers are the non-negative integers (0, 1, 2, 3, ...). The symbol used to represent the set of integers can vary, with \mathbb{Z} being the most common, but \mathbb{I} is also used. The inclusion of
info.edp
What are the differences between all of these numbers
- Natural Numbers.
- Rational Numbers.
- Whole Numbers.
- Integers.

Can anyone explain these with definitions and examples.

Thanks for the help.

Info.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
These are basic definition u would find in any maths book
still
Natural Numbers
1,2,3,4,... are called Natural Numbers, their set is denoted by N

Integers
The Number ...-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3... are called integers and their set is denoted by I

Rational Numbers

All numbers of the form p/q where p&q are integers and q not equal to 0 are called rational numbers and their set is denoted by Q and H.C.F of p,q is 1

Whole Numbers

Set of non-negative integers {0,1,2,3...}

Thanks for the reply. Why is 0 not included in the set of Natural Numbers? Is it true that 0 has its origin from India?

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Info.

Is it true that 0 has its origin from India?
Yup its true

Difference between these

What about 0 not included in the set of Natural Numbers?

Info.

Originally posted by himanshu121
Integers
The Number ...-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3... are called integers and their set is denoted by I

isn't it denoted by Z?

isn't it denoted by Z?

Doesn't Z denote a Complex functions?

I personally feel that using Ifor the set of integers is more convinient than using any other alphabet.

Sridhar

0 is a part of N , without it, it would not form a monoid for the addition.

Originally posted by sridhar_n
Doesn't Z denote a Complex functions?
actually no,

I personally feel that using Ifor the set of integers is more convinient than using any other alphabet.
if you want to be picky I was referring to [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] but I was too busy to write the tex code...
and it's about mathematics not personal preferences :wink:

As to whether 0 is a natural number or not: it's a matter of taste. Peano's axioms originally included 0. Most modern math books identify "natural numbers" with "counting numbers" and start with 1.

It is true that the "counting numbers" do not form a monoid.
The "whole numbers" do.

Sridhar we can use Z too for integers we here in India do use I for integers, and is much more convenient here But I want to quote this
for GuyBrush
Symbol/Notation doesn't mean anything unless u know what do Symbol/notation represents

So its upto U what u want it to assign

Though I agree Z can also be used

Thats what I have been telling him Himanshu...I is a more convenient notation for Integers...

Sridhar

I means imaginary numbers.

Both [itex]\mathbb{I}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] are considered acceptable symbols for the set of integers. [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] is the most commonly used symbol, primarily for historical reasons. It's also traditional to use double-stuck characters, although that is just a convention as well.

However, neither symbol is better. The matter is entirly subjective. I use [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] because everyone I've ever worked with uses it, and I try to be consistent.

Originally posted by master_coda
I use [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] because everyone I've ever worked with uses it, and I try to be consistent. [/B]

yes, [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex] rules

and Tron3k the imaginary numbers are part of the complex numbers [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], there is no special symbol for them.

I sometime heard that Z is used for integers because the german word for "integer" starts with Z, so it was natural choice for the many german mathematicians working with them.

What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that can be tested through observation and experimentation. It is often presented as an "if-then" statement and is used to make predictions about the outcome of an experiment. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a phenomenon that has been extensively tested and supported by evidence. It is a much more comprehensive and robust explanation than a hypothesis.

What is the difference between qualitative and quantitative data?

Qualitative data is descriptive and non-numerical information that is gathered through observations, interviews, or surveys. It is often used to understand the underlying reasons and motivations behind a phenomenon. On the other hand, quantitative data is numerical and can be measured and analyzed statistically. It is often used to draw conclusions and make predictions based on a large sample size.

What is the difference between a control group and an experimental group?

A control group is a group in an experiment that does not receive any treatment or manipulation and is used as a baseline for comparison. An experimental group, on the other hand, is a group that is exposed to the variable being tested and is used to measure the effect of the treatment. By comparing the results of the control and experimental groups, scientists can determine if the treatment had an effect.

What is the difference between accuracy and precision?

Accuracy refers to how close a measurement or observation is to the true value or target. It is a measure of correctness. Precision, on the other hand, refers to how close multiple measurements or observations are to each other. It is a measure of consistency. For example, if you are trying to hit a bullseye and your arrows are all clustered together but not in the center, you are precise but not accurate. If your arrows are scattered all over, you are neither precise nor accurate.

What is the difference between a dependent and independent variable?

The independent variable is the variable that is manipulated or changed by the experimenter. It is the cause or the "if" in an experiment. The dependent variable, on the other hand, is the variable that is measured or observed and is affected by the independent variable. It is the effect or the "then" in an experiment. In other words, the independent variable causes a change in the dependent variable.