Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between

1. Oct 9, 2004 #1
    What is the difference between Neil Bohrs Model of the atom & Schrodiners model of the atom?

I know that in Schrodiners model, the atoms rotate around the nucleus in an oscillating motion & use the 4 types quantum numbers.
    Am I right in saying that the orbital quantum number ie Azimuthal, does not count for the Bohr model? & that the Azimuthal is the oscillating motion of the electron in Schrodiners model?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2004 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The electronic orbitals in Schrodingers model do not oscillate, they are static with time.

You are correct in saying that the orbital quantum number is not predicted in Bohr's model, though you are incorrect in saying that it is the oscillating motion of the electron in Schrodinger's model, as I have stated previously, the orbitals are static with time.

The difference between Bohr's model and Schrodinger's model are numerous. I can't possibly list them all here. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed on another thread.

Claude.

4. Oct 11, 2004 #3
    It looks like that in the time-independent Schrödinger-equation.

One difference: the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom is flat like a pancake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?