1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference equation

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1
    Hi, I've been working on a difference equation and I just can't get the answer. Can someone checking my working?
    [tex]
    w_{n + 1} = 2w_n + 1
    [/tex]
    w_1 = 2w_0 + 1
    w_2 = 2w_1 + 1 = 2(2w_0 + 1) + 1 = 2^2w_0 + 1 + 2^1
    [tex]
    \Rightarrow w_n = 2^n w_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^{n - 1} {2^i } = 2^n w_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^n {2^i } - 2^n = 2^n w_0 + \frac{{1 - 2^{n + 1} }}{{1 - 2}} - 2^n
    [/tex]

[tex]
    w_n = 2^n w_0 ' + 2^{n + 1} - 1 - 2^n = 2^n \left( {w_0 ' - 1} \right) + 2^{n + 1} - 1
    [/tex]...I have written w_0 with a dash so as to enable me to get a 'nicer' looking answer. It is a little ambiguous but hopefully people understand what I've done. I've simply taken 2^n as a common factor of two of the terms so that I get 2^n multipled by something. In the next line I replace that 'thing' by w_0.

[tex]
    w_n = 2^n w_0 + 2^{n + 1} - 1
    [/tex]

Where I have used a primed w_0 so that I could get an answer which resembles the book's. The book's answer is the same as mine except where I have a negative one, it has a negative two. I don't know where I'm going wrong. Can someone help me out?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your answer is incorrect, since your formula predicts [tex]w_{0}=2^{0}w_{0}+2-1=w_{0}+1[/tex]
    Similarly [tex]w_{1}=2w_{0}+2^{2}-1=2w_{0}+3[/tex]

You have correctly found:
    [tex]w_{n}=2^{n}w_{0}+2^{n+1}-1-2^{n}[/tex]
    Rewrite this as follows:
    [tex]2^{n}w_{0}+2^{n+1}-1-2^{n}=w_{0}2^{n}+2^{n}(2-1)-1=w_{0}2^{n}+2^{n}-1=2^{n}(w_{0}+1)-1[/tex]

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the help but I still don't understand how the book got [tex]w_n = 2^{n + 1} - 2 + 2^n v_0 [/tex] (I've typed the answer exactly as it is given with the v_0 and not the w_0). Is my corrected answer(the one you included in your reply) somehow equivalent to the book's answer? Or is it possble to get 'different' general solutions depending on the solution procedure?

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your book's formula is wrong!

Your difference equation says that [tex]w_{1}=2w_{0}+1[/tex]
    but their formula says: [tex]w_{1}=2^{2}-2+2w_{0}=2+2w_{0}[/tex]

6. Oct 12, 2005 #5
    Hmm...I know that the answers in books are never (rarely) 100% with their answers but since it is so rare for an error to be in there I just assumed that their answer had to be correct. Thanks for clearing that up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?