1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference equation

1. Oct 21, 2005 #1
    I am currently struggling to solve Difference equations (especially the first order ones). Here is a 'simple' one which I cannot get the correct answer to despite trying many times. Here is what I think is my most decent attempt.
    [tex]
    2y_{n + 1} = y_n + 2
    [/tex]
    Rearranging gives [tex]y_{n + 1} = \frac{1}{2}y_n + 1[/tex].
    Iterating: [tex]y_1 = \frac{1}{2}y_0 + 1,y_2 = \frac{1}{2}y_1 + 1 = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^2 y_0 + 1 + \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]
    \Rightarrow y_n = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n y_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^{n - 1} {\left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)} ^i
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n y_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^n {\left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)} ^i - \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n y_0 + \frac{{1 - \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^{n + 1} }}{{1 - \frac{1}{2}}} - \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n y_0 + 2 - \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n - \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n
    [/tex]
    The answer is what I obtained except without the two subtracted (1/2)^n terms at the end. By the way is there a way to solve first order difference equations without using an iterative approach like the one I used? Any help would be good thanks.

Edit: Hmm I just realised that I could've the substitution y_n = lambda^n to find the solution to homogeneous equation and then set y_n = constant to find particular solution. However I would still like to know how to do it through the summation method I used. Any help or suggestions for alternative solutions would be good thanks.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that's wrong. If
    [tex] y_n = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n y_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^{n - 1} {\left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)} ^i
    [/tex][tex]y_1 = \frac{1}{2}y_0 + 1[/tex]
    alright but then [tex]y_2= \frac{1}{2}y_1+ 1= \frac{1/2}\frac{1}{2}y_0+ \frac{1/2}+ 1= \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2y_0+ \frac{3}{2}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  4. Oct 21, 2005 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try setting [itex]y_n = z_n + 2[/itex].

(EDIT: Corrected constant.)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  5. Oct 21, 2005 #4
    I don't understand which part you are saying is wrong. I know that my initial answer is incorrect but it seems to fit in with what I'm getting.

[tex]
    y_1 \equiv \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)y_0 + 1
    [/tex] from y_(n+1) = (1/2)y_(n) + 1

[tex]
    y_2 \equiv \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)y_1 + 1 = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)\left[ {\left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)y_0 + 1} \right] + 1 = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^2 y_0 + 1 + \frac{1}{2}
    [/tex]

If [tex]y_n = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^n y_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^{n - 1} {\left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^i } [/tex] then:

[tex]
    y_1 = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)y_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^{1 - 1} {\left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^i } = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)y_0 + 1
    [/tex]

Ok that seems right. Set n = 2 and what happens?

[tex]
    y_2 = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^2 y_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^{2 - 1} {\left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^i } = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^2 y_0 + \sum\limits_{i = 0}^1 {\left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^i } = \left( {\frac{1}{2}} \right)^2 y_0 + 1 + \frac{1}{2}
    [/tex]

As before.

So if instead of using my formula and I simply interated I would get the same answer.

It is absolutely incorrect to 'replace' y_0 by y_1 in the first formula that I found. I know what the my formula is not correct but I don't see how it doesn't fit in with what I found.

Tide - Thanks for the help but if possible could you please explain the motivation behind that substitution?

6. Oct 22, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Benny,

Quite simple but I did type in the wrong number in my original post - which I'll edit. (The correct substitution is [itex]y_n = z_n + 2[/itex])

If you didn't have that +1 on the right side of your original equation then you would have a difference equation for a simple geometric series. Is there a way of eliminating the +1? Yes, try [itex]y_n = z_n + A[/itex] and find out whether there is any value of A that gets rid of the +1.

Making the substitution gives [itex]z_n + A = \frac {1}{2}z_n + \frac{1}{2} A + 1[/itex]. Therefore, if [itex]A = 2[/itex] we have [itex]z_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2}z_n[/itex] which is very easily solved. Don't forget to replace [itex]z_n[/itex] with [itex]y_n - 2[/itex] to find the required solution.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  7. Oct 22, 2005 #6
    Oh ok, I see what you did now. It seems kind of like setting y_n = C and then solving for C.

8. Oct 22, 2005 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Benny,

My typing fingers aren't working right today! This is the equation you get after making the substitution:

[tex]z_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2}z_n[/tex]

I had mistyped n instead of n+1 for the index on the left side.

9. Oct 22, 2005 #8
    Thanks, I figured that it's what you meant to type before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?