1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference hard to notice ?

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've been struggling for the past hours and cant find the difference between "linear system of algebric equation " and "homogenus system of equation" ,I have the oral(writting) exam tuesday and I would appreciate a little help since I passed writting exam and only final oral would grant me passage to next semester so Id get rid of so many months of suffering .Thanks all

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2
    The word 'homogeneous' entails that all constant terms are zero, which is not required for an algebraic equation.

4. Sep 10, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In a linear system of equations, the variables all occur to the first power, as in this example

x + 2y + 3z = 4
    -x + 3y -z = 8

I'm not sure what the "algebraic" part contributes.

In a homogeneous system of equations, all the variables are on one side of each equation and the constants on the right side are all zero, as in

x + 2y + 3z = 0
    -x + 3y -z = 0

Now, since it wasn't specified that these are linear equations, we could have systems like this

x2 + 2sin(y) + 3z1/2 = 0
    -x + 3cos(y) - 1/z = 0

This is a homogeneous system of nonlinear equations.

Hope that helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook