Difference in EMF of 5000 V and a voltmeter reading of 40 V

In summary: V is obtained.The reason for this difference is due to the internal resistance of the power supply, which creates a voltage drop when current is flowing through the circuit. This results in the voltmeter measuring a lower voltage than the actual EMF of the power supply. Using Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, the current flowing through the circuit can be calculated (2 mA) and the internal resistance of the power supply can be determined (2.48 MΩ).
moenste

Homework Statement

A power supply used in a laboratory has an EMF of 5000 V. When, however, a voltmeter of resistance 20 kΩ is connected to the terminal of the power supply a reading of only 40 V is obtained.

(a) Explain this observation.
(b) Calculate (i) the current flowing in the meter and (ii) the internal resistance of the power supply.

Answers: (b) (i) 2 mA, (ii) 2.48 MΩ

2. The attempt at a solution
(b) (i) I = V / R = 40 / 20 000 = 2 * 10-3 A.

(b) (ii) E = I (r + R) → 5000 = 2 * 10-3 (r + 20 000) → r = 2 480 000 Ω.

(a) I am not sure why EMF and the PD are different. Maybe it has something to do with the differences between the general differences between the EMF and the PD. As far as I know, their difference is in the fact that PD is work done to move a charge between two points in a circuit and EMF is the total work done to move charge throught a complete circuit. And the formula is also different: V = I R, (R = total resistance), E = I (R + r), (R + r) = total external and internal resistance. But not sure whether this is applied to this situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget EMF for a moment and consider this: if the power supply was rated at 5000V without any mention of EMF would your answers be any different?

Likes moenste
moenste said:
And the formula is also different: V = I R, (R = total resistance), E = I (R + r), (R + r) = total external and internal resistance. But not sure whether this is applied to this situation.
You are on the right track. Apply this to the situation in the problem. A circuit diagram will help.

Likes moenste
phinds said:
Forget EMF for a moment and consider this: if the power supply was rated at 5000V without any mention of EMF would your answers be any different?
It would be then:
moenste said:
A voltmeter of resistance 20 kΩ is connected to the terminal of the power supply a reading of 5000 V is obtained.
So the current would be I = V / R = 5000 / 20 000 = 0.25 A. That is a larger number than 0.002 A calculated.

Maybe the reason in the difference of the EMF of 5000 V and the real 40 V is in the fact that the power supply is not ideal? This is what I got from a different thread. And because the power source (battery) is non-ideal, it has internal resistance, which we look for in (b).

cnh1995 said:
You are on the right track. Apply this to the situation in the problem. A circuit diagram will help.
Thank you, but I think you misunderstood me :). I solved (b), but I'm not sure on the theory part (a). Maybe the reason in the difference of the EMF of 5000 V and the real 40 V is in the fact that the power supply is not ideal? This is what I got from a different thread. And because the power source (battery) is non-ideal, it has internal resistance, which we look for in (b).

phinds said:
What do you think is the difference between EMF and voltage?
Volate (PD) is work done to move a charge between two points in a circuit and EMF is the total work done to move charge throught a complete circuit. And the formula is also different: V = I R, (R = total resistance), E = I (R + r), (R + r) = total external and internal resistance.

It is clear that moenste is designating the open-circuit potential as "EMF" and the terminal potential measured by the voltmeter as "P.D." This may be somewhat unconventional, but is allowable.

Thread cleanup: I have removed posts generated by a misreading of this nomenclature.

Likes moenste
moenste said:
Maybe the reason in the difference of the EMF of 5000 V and the real 40 V is in the fact that the power supply is not ideal? This is what I got from a different thread. And because the power source (battery) is non-ideal, it has internal resistance, which we look for in (b).
That is correct. When current is drawn it causes voltage loss across the internal resistance.

Likes moenste
moenste said:
(a) I am not sure why EMF and the PD are different. Maybe it has something to do with the differences between the general differences between the EMF and the PD. As far as I know, their difference is in the fact that PD is work done to move a charge between two points in a circuit and EMF is the total work done to move charge throught a complete circuit. And the formula is also different: V = I R, (R = total resistance), E = I (R + r), (R + r) = total external and internal resistance. But not sure whether this is applied to this situation.
Yes, you are on the right track. See figure. The box represents the real power source, an ideal source with EMF E, and the internal resistance r, connected in series. The current flowing through the circuit causes potential drop across the internal resistance, so you get voltage across the terminals which is lower than the EMF.
In this problem, the resistance of the voltmeter is the load. The voltmeter measures the voltage across its internal resistance.
upload_2016-10-3_13-54-20.png

Likes moenste
ehild said:
Yes, you are on the right track. See figure. The box represents the real power source, an ideal source with EMF E, and the internal resistance r, connected in series. The current flowing through the circuit causes potential drop across the internal resistance, so you get voltage across the terminals which is lower than the EMF.
In this problem, the resistance of the voltmeter is the load. The voltmeter measures the voltage across its internal resistance.
View attachment 106874
Thank you. Forgot to put the "solved" sign :).

I think for this part:
moenste said:
A power supply used in a laboratory has an EMF of 5000 V. When, however, a voltmeter of resistance 20 kΩ is connected to the terminal of the power supply a reading of only 40 V is obtained.

(a) Explain this observation.

This explanation is correct:
moenste said:

moenste said:
Thank you. Forgot to put the "solved" sign :).

I think for this part:

This explanation is correct:
It is correct, but not complete. Add that the voltmeter loads the power supply, and the current flowing through the circuit causes voltage drop along the internal resistance of the battery. The voltage across the terminals is less then the EMF of the battery - by how much?

Likes moenste
ehild said:
voltmeter loads the power supply,
Doesn't the voltmeter just show how much voltage is there?

ehild said:
current flowing through the circuit causes voltage drop along the internal resistance of the battery.
Why does it causes voltage drop along the internal resistance of the battery?

ehild said:
voltage across the terminals
Terminals means on the poles? + and -?

ehild said:
The voltage across the terminals is less then the EMF of the battery - by how much?
Sorry, no idea.

moenste said:
Voltmeter should not load the power supply.
It does show voltage but that voltage is less than the actual open circuit voltage (emf) of the battery.
moenste said:
Yes.
moenste said:
Sorry, no idea
Didn't you already do that in your solution?
moenste said:
Why does it causes voltage drop along the internal resistance of the battery?
Draw a diagram and see how internal resistance and voltmeter resistance are connected.

Likes moenste
moenste said:
The voltmeter shows the voltage across its terminals. It depends on the loading resistance and also the on the internal resistance of the battery. You said that E=I(r+R), and you get the current I=E/(r+R) flowing in the circuit. That current causes voltage on the resistor R, U=IR according to Ohm's Law. That is the voltage measured by a voltmeter. The same current flows through the internal resistance r: the voltage across it is Ir. The voltages add up, and their sum is equal to the EMF, according to your equation E = I(r+R) = Ir + IR. The first term is the voltage across the internal resistance, r, the second is the voltage across the external resistance R. As ##I=\frac{E}{r+R}##, the voltage read by the voltmeter is ##U=RI=R\frac{E}{r+R}##. You see, it depends on both resistances.
upload_2016-10-3_16-56-42.png

moenste said:
Why does it cause voltage drop along the internal resistance of the battery?
The current flows through the internal resistance of the battery, and a current I flowing through a resistor means that there is voltage drop across the resistor. It is Ohm's Law. Or it is better to say, that the current can flow through the resistor only when there is potential difference between the terminals of the resistor.
moenste said:
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_(electronics)
In case of a battery, they are the + and - poles. But the elements of an electric circuits have some legs which can be connected to the other parts of the circuits. Batteries, resistors, capacitors, inductors, bulbs, diodes have two terminals.

moenste said:
Sorry, no idea.
The current I flows through the internal resistance r of the battery. What is the voltage across r? Read the first paragraph of my post.

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
An ideal voltmeter does not load the power supply, but a real one, with finite internal resistance does. The battery is loaded with the internal resistance of the voltmeter, and the voltmeter reads the voltage across its own internal resistance.

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
It does show voltage but that voltage is less than the actual open circuit voltage (emf) of the battery.
Load means like power? But isn't it the battery that is supposed to do that? And voltmeters just show how much voltage is flowing in the circuit?

cnh1995 said:
Didn't you already do that in your solution?
In that case I don't quite understand the answer, sorry.

cnh1995 said:
Draw a diagram and see how internal resistance and voltmeter resistance are connected.
The higher is the (r + R) the higher is the E? E = I (r + R).

ehild said:
It is correct, but not complete. Add that the voltmeter loads the power supply, and the current flowing through the circuit causes voltage drop along the internal resistance of the battery. The voltage across the terminals is less then the EMF of the battery - by how much?
The voltage across the terminals of the voltmeter (they are the ends of the cables) is less than the EMF of the battery by 5000 - 40 = 4960 V.

moenste said:
Load means like power? But isn't it the battery that is supposed to do that? And voltmeters just show how much voltage is flowing in the circuit?
Load is something you connect to the power supply. A light bulb, a heater, a hair dryer and so on. From electric point of view they are resistances.
The voltmeter shows the voltage across two points. Voltage does not flow. It is the current that flows
moenste said:
Usually you have a power source with a given EMF. If you buy a battery, the EMF is written on it: 1.5 V , or 9 V... If you connect something that has resistance R, the current flowing in the circuit is I=E/(R+r).
I suggest you to do some experiments with a battery and small light bulbs.

Likes moenste
moenste said:
The voltage across the terminals of the voltmeter (they are the ends of the cables) is less than the EMF of the battery by 5000 - 40 = 4960 V.
Give it in terms of I and r.

ehild said:
Give it in terms of I and r.
Well, most of the resistance is supplied by the battery (2 480 000 Ω) and the voltmeter has a resistance of 20 000 Ω.

And the current flowing through the voltmeter is 2 * 10-3 A.

ehild said:
An ideal voltmeter does not load the power supply, but a real one, with finite internal resistance does. The battery is loaded with the internal resistance of the voltmeter, and the voltmeter reads the voltage across its own internal resistance.
Yes. I forgot to write "ideal"..

Likes moenste
moenste said:
Well, most of the resistance is supplied by the battery (2 480 000 Ω) and the voltmeter has a resistance of 20 000 Ω.

And the current flowing through the voltmeter is 2 * 10-3 A.
In general, the voltage across the internal resistance of the battery is Ir, and the potential difference across the terminals of the loaded battery is U=E-Ir, which is equal to the voltage across the external resistance, IR.

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
Yes. I forgot to write "ideal"..
Yes, but it was not an ideal voltmeter.

Likes moenste
moenste said:

That’s true in general. In this situation, E is fixed because it is an independent variable (given to you in the problem statement). Conversely, r is a dependent variable (depends on the values of E and R).

Likes moenste

1. What is the difference in EMF of 5000 V and a voltmeter reading of 40 V?

The difference in EMF (electromotive force) between 5000 V and a voltmeter reading of 40 V is 4960 V. This means that the 5000 V source has a higher potential difference compared to the 40 V voltmeter reading.

2. Why is there a difference in EMF between 5000 V and a voltmeter reading of 40 V?

The difference in EMF is due to the internal resistance of the voltmeter. Every device, including voltmeters, have a certain amount of resistance that affects the flow of current and thus, the measured voltage. In this case, the internal resistance of the voltmeter is causing a difference in the EMF measurement.

3. Can the difference in EMF between 5000 V and a voltmeter reading of 40 V be eliminated?

It is not possible to completely eliminate the difference in EMF between 5000 V and a voltmeter reading of 40 V. However, it can be minimized by using a voltmeter with a lower internal resistance or by using a technique called "null balance", where the voltmeter is adjusted to match the EMF of the source.

4. How does the difference in EMF affect the accuracy of the voltmeter reading?

The difference in EMF can affect the accuracy of the voltmeter reading, as it introduces an error into the measurement. The greater the difference in EMF, the larger the error in the voltmeter reading. This is why it is important to use a voltmeter with a low internal resistance for more accurate readings.

5. Is the difference in EMF between 5000 V and a voltmeter reading of 40 V significant?

The significance of the difference in EMF depends on the context of the measurement. In some cases, such as in electronic circuits, even small differences in EMF can have a significant impact on the performance of the circuit. However, in other cases, such as in household appliances, the difference may not be significant enough to affect the functionality of the device.