What is the difference in magnitude between two stars with varying distances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference in magnitude between two stars that have a significant difference in brightness and distance. The formula for calculating this difference is given, but the context of the problem is different from what the person is used to. They are seeking clarification and assistance in applying the formula.
stardrop

Homework Statement

One star is intrinsically 100 times brighter than the other. If the brighter star is twice as far away as the dimmer star, what is the difference in their m values and their M values.

Homework Equations

None were given.

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation I've been using most frequently in this problem set is M + m = 5 - 5logd, but I'm not really sure how or even if I can apply it here, since this problem is reverse of what I've been given so far. Usually I have magnitudes and am asked to find the distance.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference in magnitude between two stars given their brightness is thus:

[tex] m_2-m_1=2.5 \log(\frac{b_1}{b_2}) [/tex]

This relates to apparent brightness and apparent magnitude.

Thanks for your help!

What is the concept of "Difference in Magnitudes"?

"Difference in Magnitudes" refers to the difference in size or intensity between two objects or phenomena. In scientific terms, it can refer to the difference in brightness, mass, energy, or any other measurable quantity between two objects.

How is "Difference in Magnitudes" used in scientific research?

Scientists use "Difference in Magnitudes" to compare and contrast different objects or phenomena, and to better understand their characteristics and properties. It allows for quantitative analysis and can provide valuable insights into the relationships between different variables.

What are some common examples of "Difference in Magnitudes" in nature?

Some examples of "Difference in Magnitudes" in nature include the difference in brightness between stars, the difference in mass between planets, and the difference in energy output between different types of natural disasters such as earthquakes or hurricanes.

How is "Difference in Magnitudes" related to the concept of scale?

"Difference in Magnitudes" is closely related to the concept of scale, as it involves measuring and comparing quantities on a specific scale. For instance, the difference in size between two objects can be measured on a small scale (such as millimeters) or a larger scale (such as kilometers), which can greatly affect the perceived magnitude of the difference.

Can "Difference in Magnitudes" be subjective?

While "Difference in Magnitudes" is a quantitative measurement, it can be subject to interpretation and may differ based on the perspective of the observer. For example, the perceived difference in brightness between two stars may vary depending on the individual's perception and the conditions in which they are viewing the stars.