Difference in Sign for 6.4 Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of an equation in 6.4 from a research paper. The speaker has encountered a sign difference compared to the author's equation 6.4, even after considering identities and calculating for the first term. The speaker also mentions using a four-component Dirac spinor and suggests providing the name of the book for reference.
touqra
I have a hard time trying to derive the equation in 6.4 . This is what I've done, and as you will see I have a sign difference compared to his.
http://scitation.aip.org/getpdf/servlet/GetPDFServlet?filetype=pdf&id=PRVDAQ000070000001015012000001&idtype=cvips&prog=normal
Starting with page 8, equation 6.2, considering the second term in the action, i.e.

[tex] D_{\mu}\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi[/tex]

note: the author used the four-component Dirac spinor as [tex]\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\chi\\
\overline{\psi}
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

I also calculated some identities:
[tex]\psi* \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} = \gamma^0 \gamma^{\mu} \psi* [/tex]
[tex]\gamma^{\mu}\gamma_{\mu} = 4 [/tex]
[tex] \{\gamma^{\mu} , \gamma^{\nu}\} = 2g^{\mu\nu} [/tex]

With these,
I obtain for [tex] \frac{1}{4z}\gamma_{\mu}\gamma_{5}\overline{\Psi}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi = \frac{-2}{z}(\chi\psi - \overline{\chi}\overline{\psi}) [/tex]

I have a sign difference with the author's in equation 6.4
I calculated for the first term too. Still a sign difference. In fact, I get something like [tex]\frac{3}{z} (\chi\psi - \overline{\chi}\overline{\psi})[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you might want to provide the name of the book you're using?

What is the difference in sign for 6.4 equation?

The difference in sign for 6.4 equation refers to the positive or negative symbol placed in front of a number or variable in an equation. It indicates whether the value is greater than or less than zero.

Why is it important to pay attention to the difference in sign for 6.4 equation?

Paying attention to the difference in sign is important because it can greatly affect the outcome of an equation. It can change the direction of a graph or the solution to a problem.

How is the difference in sign for 6.4 equation represented in mathematical notation?

The difference in sign is represented by the symbols "+" and "-" in front of a number or variable. A positive sign indicates a value greater than zero, while a negative sign indicates a value less than zero.

Can the difference in sign change the meaning of an equation?

Yes, the difference in sign can change the meaning and solution of an equation. For example, the equations x + 5 = 10 and x - 5 = 10 have different solutions because the difference in sign changes the value of x in each equation.

How can you determine the difference in sign for 6.4 equation?

The difference in sign can be determined by looking at the values and operations in an equation. If a number is being added, the sign is usually positive. If a number is being subtracted, the sign is usually negative. However, it's important to pay attention to the context of the equation to accurately determine the difference in sign.