Difference/Recursive Equations

• Thread starter end3r7
  • Start date
It covers the basics of difference equations and their applications in various fields. It also includes exercises and examples for practice. In summary, A good introductory text on difference equations is An Introduction to Difference Equations by Saber Elaydi, covering basics and applications with exercises and examples.
end3r7
I recently picked up a book on biomathematics and was sort of introduced (actually, more or less I was assumed to be familiar with) difference equations.
Now, to me it seems that they are just a discrete version of differential equations, treating the inpendent variable as a discrete integer, leading to some sort of recursive series (which makes sense, especially considering population growth models, as a fractional time will lead to fractional populations). Seems pretty simple, but I was wondering if anybody could lead me to a good introduction of the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:A good introductory text to difference equations is An Introduction to Difference Equations by Saber Elaydi.

Difference equations, also known as discrete dynamical systems, are mathematical models that describe the evolution of a variable over time in discrete steps. They are often used in fields such as biology, economics, and physics to model systems that change over time.

One key difference between difference equations and differential equations is the way they treat time. In differential equations, time is treated as a continuous variable, while in difference equations, time is treated as a discrete variable. This means that in difference equations, the independent variable takes on integer values, while in differential equations, it can take on any real value.

Another important distinction is that difference equations are recursive, meaning that the current state of the system depends on its previous state. This is in contrast to differential equations, where the current state only depends on the current values of the variables.

One advantage of using difference equations is that they can be easier to solve and analyze compared to differential equations. This is because they involve discrete steps and do not require complex calculus techniques.

To learn more about difference equations, I would recommend starting with a basic calculus textbook or an introductory book on dynamical systems. There are also many online resources and tutorials available that can provide a good introduction to the subject. It may also be helpful to practice solving some simple difference equations to gain a better understanding of how they work.

1. What are difference equations?

Difference equations are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a system over discrete time intervals. They are used in many scientific fields, including physics, economics, and engineering, to model dynamic systems.

2. How are difference equations different from differential equations?

Difference equations and differential equations both describe the behavior of a system over time, but they differ in the type of time intervals they use. While difference equations use discrete time intervals, differential equations use continuous time intervals.

3. What is the purpose of using recursive equations?

Recursive equations are used to define a sequence of values that depend on previous values in the sequence. They are useful for modeling processes that involve repeated steps or calculations, such as compound interest or population growth.

4. Can difference equations be solved analytically?

Yes, some difference equations can be solved analytically using algebraic techniques. However, more complex difference equations may require numerical methods, such as iteration or simulation, to find a solution.

5. How are difference equations used in real-world applications?

Difference equations are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as predicting stock market trends, analyzing population growth, and designing control systems for engineering processes. They are also used in computer science to model algorithms and in biology to study biological systems.