1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differences between ac and dc

1. Mar 17, 2006 #1
    total there are how many differences between ac and dc??and ways to produce them

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's only one fundamental difference: direct current has constant polarity, while alternating current doesn't.

There are many, many different ways to "produce" either kind of current. Trying to provide an exhaustive list would be rather pointless.

- Warren

4. Mar 17, 2006 #3
    thanks chroot admin,what's the advantages and disadvantages between these two?

5. Mar 17, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like you're looking for answers to a homework question. We're not going to do your homework for you. Maybe you should try to do your own research? You'd learn more in the process.

- Warren

6. Mar 20, 2006 #5
    i think one is more efficient and you can change voltage easier but i can have a look if i can find it in my book... later
    how do you open one question thing
    caus i need to find out about synchronous motor and i cant find anything in the net...

7. Mar 20, 2006 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Just go to google.com and type synchronous motor into the search box and hit Enter. You'll get lots of useful hits. If you are looking for some particular information within the overall subject of synchronous motors, just add those keywords into your search.

8. Mar 21, 2006 #7
    tried it already and also wikipedia. But they are not explaining how it actually works! but thanks anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?