Differences in Boyce and Diprima 8E and 9E

• Thread starter stgermaine
  • Start date
In summary, when preparing for intro to diff eq, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and matrix operations. It is also possible to use the 8th edition of the required textbook instead of the expensive 9th edition without affecting your learning.
stgermaine
Hi I'll be taking intro to diff eq this coming semester, and the course requires the Boyce and DiPrima Elementary Diff eq with boundary problems 9th edition. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470383348/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

The 9th edition seems to be very expensive. The professor says that I need to use the 8th edition. However, I've found that with most math classes I've taken (which isn't a lot, just Calc II, Calc III, and Linear algebra), I just used the previous version. The homework problem numbers were out of the order and graphics were a bit different, but I didn't learn any less than anyone using the recommended current version.

Also, it's been over a semester since calc III and linear algebra, so I'll try to cram in some reviews before the fall semester starts. What are some concepts from calc III and lin alg that I really need to have down before I tackle diff eq?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For Calc III, you should be familiar with topics such as multivariable integrals, vector fields, and differential equations. You should also know how to solve linear systems of equations and use matrices for transformations. For Linear Algebra, you should be familiar with topics such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors, inner product spaces, and matrix algebra. You should also know how to use Gaussian elimination to solve systems of equations and be familiar with the basics of linear transformations. All of these topics will be very helpful when tackling differential equations.

What is the main difference between Boyce and Diprima 8E and 9E?

The main difference between Boyce and Diprima 8E and 9E is that the 9th edition includes updated content and examples, as well as new exercises and problems. It also has a new chapter on numerical methods, making it a more comprehensive and modern resource for students.

Are the chapters and topics arranged differently in the 8th and 9th editions?

Yes, there are some changes in the organization of topics in the 9th edition compared to the 8th edition. For example, the new chapter on numerical methods is placed after the chapter on systems of first-order linear equations, instead of being at the end of the book like in the 8th edition.

Do the 8th and 9th editions have the same number of chapters?

No, the 9th edition has one additional chapter on numerical methods, so it has a total of 11 chapters compared to 10 in the 8th edition. However, the overall content and topics covered are similar between the two editions.

Are there any major changes in the format or layout of the two editions?

The general format and layout of the 8th and 9th editions are similar, with both containing clear and concise explanations, examples, and exercises. However, the 9th edition has updated graphics and a more modern design, making it easier to read and navigate for students.

Are there any differences in the level of difficulty between the 8th and 9th editions?

The level of difficulty in the 9th edition is comparable to the 8th edition. Both editions aim to provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter and gradually increase in difficulty as the chapters progress. However, the 9th edition may have some additional challenging problems and exercises.