Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differences? Pembezaan

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1

Mmx

Sorry my maths question is in Malay ill try to translate as gd as i can. I realyl have no idead how to do it.

A zink which have a square size of 30 cm x 16 cm.
    At the end of the 4 edge of the sqaure zink is cut out equally same sides x cm.

After cutting the zink is fold into a a open box.

a) Prove that the volume, V of this box is equal to V=4(x^3 - 23x^2 + 120x)cm^3

b) After that, find the maksimum volume, V

If you can understand then nvm cause my maths are in malay and not english. In malay this topic are call Pembezaan im not sure in english that is call differences. I can understand better with the look of working. Sorry:cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Okay, I think I understand what you mean...
    Do you know the formula for computing the volume of a box: [tex]\mbox{V = length x height x depth} = \mbox{A_{base}} \mbox{ x height}[/tex]?
    So after you fold that zink into an open box, what's the length, the depth, and the height of that box?
    So, your zink will look like this:
    __|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|__
    |...............................|
    ¯¯|_______________|¯¯
    Hint, the base is the rectangle in red. Can you find its area?
    Can you find the height of the box?
    From there, can you find its volume?
    --------------
    For number 2, do you know how to differentiate?
    For example f(x) := x3 + x
    => f'(x) = 3x2 + 1.
    Can you do this?
    If yes, then do you know how one can find an maximum value and minimum value of a function by differentiation?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  4. Feb 4, 2006 #3

Mmx

Thx. Yes i know how to differentiate thats y my malay call Pembezaan. Thx for the hint. I Can do it now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook