1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different diameter solenoid

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We're given two solenoids with identical currents and turns per unit length. But the solenoids have different diameters. Would a metal BB experience a larger acceleration in the smaller diameter tube, assuming we use the same BB in both solenoids it accelerates along the z-axis, which goes through the center of the solenoid?

2. Relevant equations

Magnetic field through a solenoid:

[itex] B = \mu_0NI [/itex]

Where N is number of turns per unit length and I is the current.

Biot-Savart Law:

[tex]B = \frac{1}{4\pi}\frac{I\Delta \vec{s} \times \vec{r}}{r^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My thought is that since the BB experiences the same uniform magnetic field in both solenoids, the acceleration is the same. The equation for the magnetic field through a solenoid does not include diameter, I notice. But I was having a little debate on this subject and my friend says he would expect the field to sort of dissipate as the diameter increases. This would make total sense if it were a point charge; you'd use Biot-Savart's law. Who is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi joe_cool2! :smile:

(what's a BB ? :confused:)
    you are correct …

if the solenoid is infinitely long, the magnetic field is uniform

if the solenoid is ordinary long (ie, a lot longer than wide), the magnetic field is nearly uniform, and you can assume this to be so in exam questions! :wink:

from hyperphysics

"The magnetic field is concentrated into a nearly uniform field in the centre of a long solenoid"​

4. Jan 6, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See here for description of BBs. They are often made of steel with a copper or zinc coating, lead, or plastic. I don't see how a BB in a B field (pun intended, sorry) would experience any noticeable acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook