Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different perspectives

1. Apr 12, 2003 #1
    The other day, I was looking at two intersecting straight lines. They were drawn from a certain angle so that they looked acute. But if you sort of changed the angle of your view (by turning the paper a bit to the side), it looked like, quite simply, a coordinate plane without a graph. So, since the two lines where perpendicular to each other, does it mean they are right angles? Even if they only look acute?
    My sister and I had quite a bit of a quarrel over this...and I wanted an answer that was more substantiated, or rather "standard" so that more people could agree. Okay, so bring it on...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

HallsofIvy

4. Apr 13, 2003 #3
    uhh...that was my question.
    By definition, perpendicular angles are right angles right?

or is the whole situation relative? (i personally don't believe so)

5. Apr 14, 2003 #4
    I don't think I follow what you say completely. Angle is a relative quantity due to Lorentz Transformations, and the way space changes while travelling at different speeds. But yeah, I don't think that was quite what you were asking.

6. Apr 14, 2003 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, for God's sake don't bring relativity into it!

Yes, "perpendicular" means "at right angles".

Two lines are perpendicular if and only if they cross at right angles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?