Exploring the Controversy of Parallel Realities in Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter jcs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planes
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of parallel universes and whether they exist. The person initiating the conversation is curious about others' thoughts on the matter and acknowledges their limited knowledge on the subject. The concept of parallel universes is linked to quantum mechanics and the Many Worlds Interpretation, but it is not a proven theory and is still being debated by scientists. Serious research on the topic is difficult due to its interpretive nature. Some physicists believe that the creation of a quantum computer could potentially provide evidence for parallel realities, but this is based on certain assumptions that are not universally accepted.
jcs
I thought this might be a fun post (as this is my first) I want to know what others think about the existence of alternate , parralel universes'. Don't flame me...this is supposed to be fun ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, well I don't think so, nothing prove such a thing...

Thank for the quick reply. Yeah I know. But there are other people who might disagree with us though. lol. Do you think they might be able to prove such a thing in our lifetime?

By the way, my knowlage on this "subject" is sketchy at best. Has any serious research ever been done in this "field"?

Well, the existence of parallel realities kind of grows out of quantum mechanics, and specifically a philosophy of QM known as the Many Worlds Interpretation. MWI is a usefull way of looking at certain phenomina, but it is an interpretation, and should not be confused with a "theory". I happen to think that this interpretation or "view" contains a self-contradiction and is therefore not valid.

As far as serious research, that is almost impossible with an interpretation. In fact, that's kind of the difference between an interpretation and a theory. A theory is something you can test, a veiw is not. Some modern physicists are trying to say that the creation of a quantum computer would prove the existence of parallel realities, but taking this as proof requires that one first accept certain assumptions that are by no means certain.

1. What are different planes of existence?

Different planes of existence refer to the concept that there are multiple levels or dimensions of reality beyond our physical world.

2. How many planes of existence are there?

The exact number of planes of existence is unknown and varies depending on different belief systems and theories. Some suggest there are three planes (physical, astral, and spiritual), while others propose up to ten or more planes.

3. How do we know about different planes of existence?

The concept of different planes of existence is often derived from philosophy, spirituality, and metaphysics. Some individuals may also believe they have experienced or connected with other planes of existence through meditation, dreams, or spiritual practices.

4. Can we physically travel to other planes of existence?

The current scientific understanding suggests that physical travel to other planes of existence is not possible. However, some theories in quantum physics and cosmology propose the existence of parallel universes or alternate dimensions that could potentially be accessed through advanced technology or other means.

5. How do different planes of existence affect our lives?

Different planes of existence have a significant impact on spiritual and metaphysical beliefs and practices. They can also influence our perceptions of reality, consciousness, and the interconnectedness of all things. Some individuals may use the concept of different planes of existence to find meaning and purpose in life.