Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different planes of existance

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1

jcs

I thought this might be a fun post (as this is my first) I want to know what others think about the existance of alternate , parralel universes'. Don't flame me....this is supposed to be fun ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2
    Hi, well I don't think so, nothing prove such a thing...

4. Dec 6, 2007 #3

jcs

Thank for the quick reply. Yeah I know. But there are other people who might disagree with us though. lol. Do you think they might be able to prove such a thing in our lifetime?

5. Dec 6, 2007 #4

jcs

By the way, my knowlage on this "subject" is sketchy at best. Has any serious research ever been done in this "field"?

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

Well, the existence of parallel realities kind of grows out of quantum mechanics, and specifically a philosophy of QM known as the Many Worlds Interpretation. MWI is a usefull way of looking at certain phenomina, but it is an interpretation, and should not be confused with a "theory". I happen to think that this interpretation or "view" contains a self-contradiction and is therefore not valid.

As far as serious research, that is almost impossible with an interpretation. In fact, that's kind of the difference between an interpretation and a theory. A theory is something you can test, a veiw is not. Some modern physicists are trying to say that the creation of a quantum computer would prove the existence of parallel realities, but taking this as proof requires that one first accept certain assumptions that are by no means certain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?