Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different types of available genes

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    I have two important questions.

First one is,Can somebody supply me any link or information about different types of available genes.for example during learning proces the genes that are responsible for this particular action.likewise all the actions that we do and the genes responsible for that.

Second question,whenever gene interaction takes place,is the process happening inside genes during interaction is biochemical? a link for gene interaction will also he helpful.

Thanx in advance

Regards
    drdolittle :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may want to look on the NCBI site.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

This were genes are submitted to a databank and share with the public.

I don't understand the second question.

4. Dec 5, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the first question, I'm not sure any single site would be of much use, and none comprehensive. Those are the studies still being done. There are still a lot of genes without any known function and a lot with known functions that may have many other functions depending on when they are expressed and where they are expressed. The link iansmith provided is probably the most useful. Otherwise, you'll have to do a good, old-fashioned literature search for specific genes or functions you are interested in.

As with iansmith, I don't understand the second question either. Probably a bit of a language barrier getting in the way. Could you try rephrasing, or explaining more what you need or why you need it? This might help us understand what you are looking for.

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4
    Let me paraphrase the second question.
    Whenever 2 genes interact,if the genes are made up of some chemicals(Iam not sure with what genes are made of),what are the changes that are brought forth inside......If the genes are made of few chemicals, any change in its functionality may be effected by biochemical reactions inside the genes.
    I hope i have made it clear,ask me if iam still exhibiting obscurity.
    Thanx in advance

Regards
    drdolittle

6. Dec 5, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question still doesn't make any sense. I think you need to get a better understanding of what a gene is. Have you taken any genetics courses?

7. Dec 6, 2004 #6
    Iam following a book named "molecular biology of the cell" by Garland publications.Just tell me wheter gene is made up of anything else or it is the most basic level ?

Regards
    drdolittle

8. Dec 6, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everyone carries genetic material in the form of chromosomes, a chromosome is a double helix composed of two complementary strings. The string codes for information with 4 letters (bases): A, C, G and T, but only about 2% of all those letters are genes: they contain a combination of those letters that tells the cell to start reading the text.

Genes might interact because they code for proteins that have certain effects, think transcription factors, but genes might also interact by forming certain loops in the structure of the DNA itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?