Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different types of biopsies?

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,

I did an internet search on these terms, but I want to make sure if I understood this properly. These are the biopsies I know

1. FNAC: You get a needle and aspirate cells

2. True cut (core) biopsy: You get a bigger needle and aspirate tissue rather than cells.

3. Incisional biopsy: You take a piece of the tissue of interest. Eg if there is an ulcer, you take a wedge shape part of it for histopathology.

4. Excisional biopsy: You take the whole tissue of interest. Eg removing whole lobe of thyroid, to look for follicular carcinoma.

Questions

1. Did I understand these terms properly, my biggest confusion is incisional and excisional biopsy, did I get that right?

2.. Are there any other biopsy types I don't know of.

Thank you so much :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 3, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. But I think that is the general definition of an incision and excision, and not refer to biopsies in particular.I found some useful info on another site. Posting here for my and others future reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook