Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different types of neutrinos

1. Dec 30, 2008 #1
    I just saw a documentary about the detection of neutrinos, and the first detection using chlorine atoms was able to detect only electron neutrinos which accounted for about 1/3 of the total number of neutrinos predicted. The muon and tau neutrinos weren't able to be detected by that method. My questions are:

1. Why does the sun only produce electron neutrinos?
    2. Related to the above question, is it possible that the sun emits all 3 types of neutrinos, and there are in fact no neutrino oscillations?

Thanks for answering my questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

1. The sun only produces electron-type neutrinos because the sun produces them through a process involving electrons. (That's the definition electron tyoe)

2. No, that's not possible. Partly because of reason 1, and partly because neutrino oscillations have been observed in other processes as well.

4. Dec 31, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your answer, and what are these other processes? I'd be curious to look them up.

5. Dec 31, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Atmospheric neutrino oscillations and accelerator experiments.

6. Jan 1, 2009 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

and supernovae explosions :-)

7. Jan 1, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I am unaware of an observation of neutrino oscillations in supernova explosions. We've seen neutrinos, but what is the evidence for oscillations?

8. Jan 1, 2009 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oh, I read sloppy sometimes. Thought the discussion was about source of neutrinos ;-)

No, only neutrinos so far observed from SN's are from SN1987A so no, no evidence for oscillations from those.

9. Jan 1, 2009 #8

clem

Science Advisor

1. The solar neutrinos are produced in nuclear beta decay. Muon neutrinos would have to be produced along with a muon, but the muon is too massive to be produced in nuclear beta decay. The same applies to tau neutrinos.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?