Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Different views

1. Aug 18, 2005 #1
    why is electromagnetic radiation considered as wave motion according to the classical theory and as a stream of particles according to the quantum theory?
    these two views are so different, so which one is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Both are actually. It appears, simply put, that it sometimes 'behaves' as a particles and sometimes as waves.
    Take light for example, we know it consists of photons but Young's (interference) experiment clearly showed that it has a wave-nature as well.

4. Aug 18, 2005 #3
    A good way to understand this is probably to read up about the wave/partical duality. This should be applicable for all text books.

Like TD said, radiation, behaves like waves and particles. Its a parradox that is very important in modern physics. Its not much help but its something tht needs to read about. I hope I have pointed you in the right direction.

hhh79bigo

5. Aug 18, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

There is no difference and it is not a matter of one being right. At that size, there is no clear distinction between "particles" and "waves"- even electrons can be thought of as either particles or waves depending on which is better for the particular problem.

6. Aug 18, 2005 #5
    hmm... i see~
    thanks! :)

7. Aug 18, 2005 #6
    very good! i get some new ideas

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook