• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Different views

• Thread starter asdf1
  • Start date
why is electromagnetic radiation considered as wave motion according to the classical theory and as a stream of particles according to the quantum theory?
these two views are so different, so which one is right?

Answers and Replies

TD
Homework Helper
Both are actually. It appears, simply put, that it sometimes 'behaves' as a particles and sometimes as waves.
Take light for example, we know it consists of photons but Young's (interference) experiment clearly showed that it has a wave-nature as well.

A good way to understand this is probably to read up about the wave/partical duality. This should be applicable for all text books.

Like TD said, radiation, behaves like waves and particles. Its a parradox that is very important in modern physics. Its not much help but its something tht needs to read about. I hope I have pointed you in the right direction.

hhh79bigo

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There is no difference and it is not a matter of one being right. At that size, there is no clear distinction between "particles" and "waves"- even electrons can be thought of as either particles or waves depending on which is better for the particular problem.

hmm... i see~
thanks! :)

very good! i get some new ideas