1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different ways of calculating a solid of revolution

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    In my calculus exam, I would like to know for all of the questions that I am 100% right (who wouldn't?). I can be sure of this for most basic questions using my graphics calculator (fx-9750gii) and some simple maths. One thing I want to know how to be "completely sure" to solve are solid of revolution questions. Unlike basic area integrals, I can't do them in the calculator, so I want to find another way.

I thought that one way might be to find the average value of the function over the closed interval to be rotated, then use the volume of a cylinder formula (V=(1/3)∏r^2h) and substituting (width of closed interval)=h and (average value of f(x))=r. Trying this out with some basic problems, this did not work, e.g. ∏∫[between 0 & 4] ((x^2)^2) dx ≠ 4∏(16/3)^2 (RHS is using the method mentioned). My first question; why does this method not work?

Also, are there any other methods to calculate the solid of revolution in an exam other than the usual formula V=∏∫[between a & b](f(x))^2 dx, that I can use to double-check my answers?

I hope the post is clear enough, sorry for not knowing how to express the integrals better...

Thanks
    microberry1

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?