1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differental / Vector problem

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    My book says V=dx/dt=B+3Ct^2 when x=A+Bt+Ct^3. This doesn't make any sense to me? Could anybody explain how x/t turned into B+3Ct^2 ?

a=dV/dt=6Ct How can V/t turn into 6Ct ? I don't understand this either :( If anobody could explain this would help me really really much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    V is the rate of change of position, so you would have to take the derivative of x to get V, let's take the derivative of each component, dx/dt = (d/dt)A + (d/dt)Bt + (d/dt)Ct^3
    A is a constant, therefore the derivative of A would become zero.
    The derivative of anything in the form of Dt^n would equal Dnt^(n-1), so the derivative of Bt would equal B(1)t^(1-1), which simplifies to B
    And the derivative of Ct^3 would equal C(3)t^(3-1), which simplifies to 3Ct^2
    And when you put it all together you get, V = B + 3Ct^2

to find acceleration, you just take the derivative of velocity.
    dv/dt = (d/dt)B + (d/dt)3Ct^2
    The derivative of B, a constant, would be zero, and the derivative of 3Ct^2 would be 3(2)Ct^(2-1), which would simplify to 6Ct
    So acceleration equals 6Ct

hope this helps
  4. Oct 21, 2008 #3
    Thank you very very much!
    Now I actually understand what I'm doing =)

Tommorow I'm going to study kinematics of spinning motion, hope I won't have trouble there!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?